Pokpo Syphon Device Experiences

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a newbie to the marine world. I purchased an Infinity Marine Tank, that I estimate to be around 38 to 42 litres. The tank has been cycling for about three months now. It has the following equipment;

2 x Skyye LED Lights each with an output of 8W
IM Skimate Ghost Skimmer
CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand- 6.8kgs
Hydor 100W Heater

I have currently one Fire Shrimp in the tank.

I have ceramic rings, as well as Seachem Matrix in the filter compartment with a bit of carbon.
In the return compartment, I have also added some Seachem Matrix in a bag.

I have used about 1kg of live rock and three kgs of dead rock to get the tank cycled. I have however purchased 4kgs of live rock and will use this on my sump conversion.

I have purchased a Pokpo Syphon System, and will use this to get the water into the sump, which is 25 litres. The sump will also house the dry rock and therefore this will reduce the actual capacity of available water in the sump, however, I need to increase the biological filtration.

I would like to eventually stock the tank with a Peppermint Shrimp (hopefully the Fire Shrimp will tolerate him), and two or three clown fish, as well as a sand shifting goby.

I would just like to find out if any of you out there have had success using the Pokpo System? What have your experiences been like?

Regards,

"The sump will also house the dry rock and....."

Correction to above: The sump will house the 4kgs of Live Rock

Almost all the tanks around here are drilled and with overflows fitted.
Not a lot of systems that uses over the top outlet systems.

Hi Riaan,

Thank you for the response. I tried to set up this past weekend but had to carry out a few mods to the Pokpo as well. Not really impressed with the device if I'm honest.

Regards

Hmm, I've just purchased one with the intention of adding a sump to my RSM250 without having to drill - I still have to do it so please could you explain what mods you had to do to get it going?

Tried to help set it up. You will need the connecting pvc piping but we also used flexible plastic pipe (16-22mm) as well and the parts need 2 be glued together. They are not a tight fit.You also need a syphon break on the return line so as it does not drain the water back into the sump when the return pump goes off. What we found out as well is that you need to have the device lower down to help with restarting the syphon incase of a power failure, which is our current problem as the whole thing is glued together with PVC glue. So instead of the 90° bend and then the device, it would be 90° bend,pipe and then the device. It also takes some playing to get the inward flow to be the same as the outward flow. We contemplating on just drilling the tank and adding a overflow pipe.

Hi @erratiC

So although there are instructions that come with the device in the packaging, it is misleading, as there are a few ways that one could do the install. I had the syphon device set up (and glued) as I saw in the picture. I hooked up the system and noticed that the device does work, but in the event of a power failure (which I simulated), upon start up of the device again, the syphon takes too long to start of effectively, and the Main Display tank gets flooded. As @Ashgovender mentioned, we also had to modify the return line with a syphon break (which was not part of the instructions as well).

At this stage, this is where I am stuck at the moment. I also checked out YouTube for videos on this, but only found one video which seems to have been done as a silent presentation. It is a pity that this is a Zetlight Product, as this is not as user friendly as their lights!!

I may just drill my tank if I don't figure this out nicely.

Regards,

Hi TerrorTec, did you come right with your siphon? I also purchased one for a small refugium next to my tank. All went well for a few hours till I found my fish room under water Siphon stopped and tank overflowed. Going to drill tank now, don't want to take the chance.

Interested to follow as I was days away of buying the same siphon device

Ended up drilling the tank n dumped the Pokpo system. We just tested it out and decided it wasn't going to work. Rather safe than sorry. It was difficult to control the flow as well.

Thanx friend for feedback il rather stay away from that siphon device

Tried to help set it up. You will need the connecting pvc piping but we also used flexible plastic pipe (16-22mm) as well and the parts need 2 be glued together. They are not a tight fit.You also need a syphon break on the return line so as it does not drain the water back into the sump when the return pump goes off. What we found out as well is that you need to have the device lower down to help with restarting the syphon incase of a power failure, which is our current problem as the whole thing is glued together with PVC glue. So instead of the 90° bend and then the device, it would be 90° bend,pipe and then the device. It also takes some playing to get the inward flow to be the same as the outward flow. We contemplating on just drilling the tank and adding a overflow pipe.
Hi Ash I know this is a very long time ago , do you still have the pokpo device , everywhere is out of stock , looking for one urgently

Back
Top Bottom