Poison For Dogs - Must Read

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by martin, 18 Mar 2009.

  1. martin

    martin Reef Adict

    Joined:
    8 Aug 2007
    Posts:
    397
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Faerie Glen Pretoria
    If you have a dog ... PLEASE read
    This and send it on. If you don't
    Have a dog, please pass along
    To friends who do.

    Written by:
    Laurinda Morris, DVM
    Danville Veterinary Clinic
    Danville , OH

    This week I had the first case in history of raisin
    Toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was
    A 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix
    That ate half a canister of raisins sometime
    Between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He
    Started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking
    About 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't
    Call my emergency service until 7AM.

    I had heard somewhere about raisins AND
    Grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't
    Seen any formal paper on the subject. We
    Had her bring the dog in immediately. In the
    Meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet,
    And the doctor there was like me - had heard
    Something about it, but ... Anyway, we
    Contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison
    Control Center and they said to give IV fluids
    At 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the
    Kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

    The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was
    Already at 32 (normal less than 27) and
    Creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal).
    Both are monitors of kidney function in the
    Bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and
    Started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values
    At 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine
    Over 7 with no urine production after a liter of
    Fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute
    Renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a
    Urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight
    As well as overnight care.

    He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet
    And his renal values have continued to increase
    Daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
    Diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting
    Medications and they still couldn't control his
    Vomiting. Today his urine output decreased
    Again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was
    At 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his
    Blood pressure, which had been staying around
    150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit
    And the owners elected to Euthanize.

    This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners
    Who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please
    Alert everyone you know who has a dog of this
    Very serious risk.


    Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many
    people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our
    ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Onions,
    chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can
    Be fatal, too.

    Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends
    Who do. This is worth passing on to them.

     
  2. AdS Guest




    to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

    Warr7207

    Joined:
    28 Dec 2007
    Posts:
    12,781
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    JHB
    Weird stuff, who would have thought
     
  4. Jaak

    Jaak

    Joined:
    2 Jun 2008
    Posts:
    2,421
    Likes Received:
    14
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hectic story!!
     
  5. Tobes

    Tobes Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    30 Nov 2007
    Posts:
    9,482
    Likes Received:
    118
    Location:
    A Beautiful place!
    Thanks for sharing Martin :) - very interresting.
     
  6. Shaun

    Shaun Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    29 Aug 2007
    Posts:
    5,274
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    KZN
    Just in case you guys did not know chocolate is also a no no for dogs. (in largish quantities.)
     
  7. chikaboo

    chikaboo

    Joined:
    2 Jan 2009
    Posts:
    4,980
    Likes Received:
    48
    Location:
    Newcastle - KZN
    Not only in large quantities - any amount is a :nono: - a dogs digestive system cannot break down the chocolate fast enough for it to passed out so it sits in digestive system and rots like extra food in a tank with bad filteration - there are speacial chocolates for pets!
     
Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Poison Dogs Must Forum Date
Urgent help needed RO needed for poisoned tank Urgent Help Needed 28 Jan 2013
Vandals poison LFS coral tanks with copper General Discussions and Advice 31 May 2012
Is Marine Silicone Poisonous? General Discussions and Advice 4 Apr 2012
what's your poison of choice? Water Parameters and Additives 3 Aug 2011
poison fish? General Discussions and Advice 20 Jul 2011
copper poison General Discussions and Advice 12 Jun 2010
PVC fumes poisonous? General Discussions and Advice 25 Mar 2008