Pod pupulation

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Hermanus, 4 Dec 2009.

1. Hermanus

Hermanus

Hi everyone.

I have been watching my pods go mad over the last 4 mounts (that is how old my new tank is) and I had alot of pods running around in my Tank at night.

The last week or so I noticed there is pods but not as much as there where, what can be the problem?

Didn't add Any thing that eat them still the same fish, add one Yellow Tang yesterday, but problem started before that. any suggestions?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

i had the same thing happen to me...i had hundreds of them all over the place.over a couple of days i also noticed that there were not as much as before.
    tagging along:whistling:

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Hermanus - the amount of pods come and go, depending on the amount of foods. They die off (when there is less food available), and then breed again like crazy, when food is plenty. Don't worry about them - they will always be there....

5. Hermanus

Hermanus Thread Starter

Tank you Jacques, what food can one give them, a bit of flakes at night? or is there something els.

6. magman

magman

My pods have gone mad also, even when I snip the shrooms they crawl out all over your hands. The sump has millions of the little white tubeworms all over the glass. But I think they initially die off and then re boom, but will stabilise again over time.

7. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

The pods gets plenty of food when you feed your corals plankton. I have noticed that as soon as I start target feeding, they crawl all over the rocks to get the small Zoo Plankton pieces! ;)

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hermanus - pods live off rotting food, and detritus.
    So - it really does not matter. I would rather perhaps put pieces of nori in the sump - let that rot for food for the pods. Rather than meaty foods - meaty foods might just increase your nitrate levels...

9. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

I've noticed mine were taking a knock after putting in an auto top off unit for ro water. I found that the level i set for the topup pump to activate was too low, and that the pump flow was too strong - it lead to clouds of fresh water in the display, and even a momentary touch of this would kill a pod . . .

10. iamwrasseman

iamwrasseman

your pod population is a direct reflection of the food available to them . sometimes there is plenty and sometimes there is not and you will get influxes of them from this action . nothing to worry about in any way . i have a ton of wrasses and they destroy pod populations but i still have them on the undersides of rocks and in the nooks and crannies . you can always see a few out and about but they are in serious danger once they show them selves in my tanks .

Recent Posts