plz help with this!

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by malooda, 25 Mar 2011.

1. malooda

malooda

hi

i plan on starting my tank in this week im looking at putting a sand bed in chamber 2 tho iv heard it wont work well bcoz it aint big enough so i was thinking if i jus put a sand bed in chamber 2 and then put egg crate where the yellow markings are on the picture and above the sand bed i put some chaeto would that keep the chaeto in that chamber and not let it float around all over the sump?
    where can i buy egg crate from?
    do i have to have t5 lights for the chaeto if not what lights could i use?

[​IMG]put some egg[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

best light to use is the cheap energy save 6400k bulbs u buy for 20 rand at shopright that you can hang over the sump.. the dsb looks ok just make sure its around 12cm-15cm deep..

builders wharewhouse should have some eggcrate or atleast something that will do the same job

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
  4. malooda

malooda Thread Starter

ok thanks. so the egg crate wont effect the flow of the sump etc etc?

do you put the chaeto in when you fill the tank up or at a later stage?

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

when you mix the salt and put the live rock, then you can add the chaeto as it will use the nutrients from the die off

6. gaboon

gaboon

Dont even waste your time bro, that is way too small to have any benefit on your tank. Rather use all the space for chaeto

7. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira

What are you putting in the left compartment? I will suggest move the glass as far as possible to the left to maximise durface area. Look into adding a NP reactor.

8. Tony

Tony

I would cover the whole bottom with sand

9. malooda

malooda Thread Starter

1st chamber for my skimmer, 3rd return pump

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Let me write like you do.
    What will be the water level in this sump bcoz the dividers to short and level b at 15cm and water level will b at 15cm all over sump from skimmer comp to return comp where is skimmer comp, left or right and return pump what side and dsb b as big as possible to be able to get more benefit form dsb size is about footprint not depth and i wld make new dividers that is higher so that water level is min 30cm so dsb is 15cm and space for cheato 15cm with first chamber just bigger than skimmer and return chamber just big enough to handle 1 day without RO topup incase it stop for some reason btw i see a ro chamber on the right is it?

11. malooda

malooda Thread Starter

lol sorry

lets retry.

1st chamber on the left for skimmer
    yip on the far right my auto top up
    im trying not to move the glass im tired of waiting i just want to get started. if i have chaeto does it kinda do the same thing as a dsb?
    i will be able 2 have a 15cm flow over the dsb, the dsb will 12cm high

12. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol I gave up trying to understand

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

OK, redone, so that @Tremayn can understand as well. :)

What will be the water level in this sump because your dividers are too short. I reckon the water level will be about 15cm all over the sump, from skimmer compartment to return compartment. Assume skimmer compartment is on the left and return on the right.
    A DSB should be as big as possible to be able to get the most benefit from it. Important is the footprint of the DSB (Length*Width) and not the depth.
    I would make new dividers that is higher so that water level is minimum 30cm. That will allow a DSB of 15cm with water that is another 15cm deep above the sand, providing space for cheato.
    I would make the first chamber just bigger than skimmer. The return chamber just big enough to handle 1 day without RO topup. So that return chamber can handle water evaporation for one day in case the auto top up failed for whatever reason, preventing the return pump from running dry.
    Just to confirm, is that a RO chamber on the right?

Last edited: 26 Mar 2011
  14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

With water level at 30cm, in all compartments, skimmer DSB and return and your dividers too short. Your water level fluctuations will be so small. You need to evaporate a lot of water before water level changed enough to kick in on your auto top up censor.
    So you will find the ATU kicking in 2 or 3 times max per day, running a long time and adding lot of RO before it will reach the upper level.
    Multiple short durations for adding RO, each time 250ml or even less, keeps salinity levels a lot more stable.
    My ATU runs for less than a minute each time it is triggered.

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And Cheato VS DSB
    No, they do different things. Cannot really only on Cheato.

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

Thanks Riaan! Its like night and day :p .. Also have to consider the space in the cabinet and the required water depth for the skimmer. So the skimmer must be able to fit and be at its correct water level

Recent Posts