Plywood aquarium

very cool:thumbup:

Hi 459b my first fish tank was build out of marine play with a glass panel in front ,and it was painted out with pond sealer(black).One year later it started to leaks on one corner and just got worst and worst.I then made a big tank 2000x1000x400 using asbestos sheets ,i cut the front and sind out with a jig saw and silicon the glass panels in and that was ten years ago and never had any leaks.I dont think wood and water will work the water will find it's way in some how.
this is my old tank in the work shop still going and the glass is just 8mm thick.
9954a40db1d6fbf3.jpg

9954a40db44b4b33.jpg

@459b I know this is an old thread;) I would like to know what was the outcome of this tank? How long was it running? Any problems with this tank after running for a while?

Im planning a plywood and fibreglass tank. Not big! 2000 X 600 X 400, any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
@459b very interesting and impressive, if you don't mind me asking whereabouts did you obtain the epoxy from?

Last edited by a moderator:
@459b very interesting and impressive, if you don't mind me asking whereabouts did you obtain the epoxy from?

Thanks, but in the end it wasnt worth all the effort. Sanding/cutting/epoxy/ etc added up to more than a glass tank would have cost. Maybe it would be cost effective on a huge aquarium.

I got it from a hardware store which has since closed. Been so long ago i cant even remember what brand of epoxy it was

I'm looking to do a brick tank with a glass front, would any pool epoxy work?

Back
Top Bottom