Plywood aquarium

459b

Reaction score
thanks Kanga and Dendrosa, will definatly keep that in mind. Should be sorting out the lights/canopy this weekend.

Reaction score
Jeepers, thats a great idea. Wonder if wood bora could pose a treat.
Re the evaporation... its an advantage as it allows you to add kalk with your auto topup

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like a great DIY job, but as this is for an octopus, wouldn't you need to keep a lid on the tank to stop it escaping? i've heard that they can put Houdini to shame with their escapology skills

459b

Reaction score
For an octopus you would need a lid, and preferably one with an airtight seal and a lock. But this tank is no longer going to be housing an octopus. My octopus died the other day. Some @$%#$ collecting mussels at Blouberg actually found the octopus. I saw them proding something in a rock pool, got curious and went to see what was happening. By the time i got there they had got bored and just left it in a tiny rock pool. It was hardly moving and had cuts on at least two of its arms. It didnt change colour either, which as a clear indication that it wasnt in good shape. I took it home in the hope that it would recover. This never happened. So now i have a little more freedom regarding tank design.

459b

Reaction score
Wonder if wood bora could pose a threat
only if they could get all the layers of paint and epoxy!! even then i doubt they would do much damage to the plywood, the idividual sheets are stuck together with some heavy duty glue.

459b

Reaction score
Did everything match exactly
it did. it took a bit of planning. I had the wood cut at timbercity, they used one of those computer guided saws, so the cuts are perfect. There were a few imperfections in the wood that had to be fixed with filler. Nothing major, just to make it look better.
Putting the glass in was a bit stressful.

Reaction score
what about using waterproof ply or marine ply? I know it will be some serious $$$ but atleast its still waterproof if the epoxy goes

459b

Reaction score
the plywood i used is considered water resistant. Full waterproof plywood is really expensive and will still need to be coated with something, so its not really different to using normal plywood. And the marine plywood is the same thickness and strength. I have heard of people using the marine ply for snake tanks and they say it tends to get covered with fungi when it gets damp, so not sure what it will do in a fishtank.

459b

Reaction score
So tank building has been a bit slow lately. Had family visiting, studies taking up way too much time etc...
Had a slight problem recently, the glass decided to leak! Think it was cause i had to move it so often during building and it got bumped alot. Finally managed to fix the leak and this weekend i put in the substrate, rocks and water. Its not leaking and will be fitting lights and plumbing this weekend.
Will post pics shortly.

459b

Reaction score
finally some more pictures...sorry for the delay, but this diy thing is alot harder than it looks!

so heres the tank as it stands at the moment. Its not full yet, when full there wont be a gap between thew watewr and the wood.

1.jpg

The "rock"in the background is the same stuff they use in koi ponds. The entire peice weighs about three kilos, so i get alot of rock woth basically zero added weight t othe system. It took forever to get hold of a piece that suited my tank.

4.jpg

I included some natural rock as well.

3.jpg

Another shot of the background. THe tank looks a bit sterile at the moment, but will look awesome when creatures start populating the rock.
I know there isnt live rock in the tank and the lighting is special ( i will start another thread to justify this). I have a large sump and will keep all my live rock in there.

Top Bottom