Plumbling Question

Reaction score
I have a 500L Reef Tank and a Mantis Nano Tank. I would like to join the two tanks, so the Nano can share in the benefits of the Skimmer, DSB and Cheato.

What sections of the sump should the return and overlow of the nano be connected to in the sump ?

Is there any considerations on the return pump I use for the Nano ?

Also if I do this can I take out the Nano's heating system ?

Can the Nano's filter box then be by-passed all together ?

The Nano is a Aqua H20 AF-62

Hi Warr - here's my input - whatever it's worth:
- yes - you should be able to do it.... BUT, I would not use pumps...
BUT in your case - not choice.... I would go with a low volume pump..... ie 500/800 litres per hour....

Put the pump (to the nano) - in the return area of your sump..... this is the "cleanest"...

Whether you can only use the "warm water" of your sump - I dunno - try it without physically removing the heater in your nano.... just put the nano heater lower.....

Then, use a over flow drain to your main display tank's sump - water should drain down by gravity......

Hope this works out for you.... Cheers mate!

Hi Warr, plumbing should be connect in the same manner as the main tank, in and return on the same sides as the plumbing from the main tank, the return pump should be of suitable size to pump the correct volume at the nessesary head hight, it would be better to move the heating to the sump and run the same temp as the current setup in the main tank, filtration on the nano could be removed but its your choice, IMHO ever bit helps but that's me.

Gravity Idea will work nicely :thumbup:

The heater I have to get rid of. Remember the Mantis is a smasher and will obliviously cause it own demise if it decides to smash the heater.

My only concern is how do I work out the diameter of overflow pipe to accommodate the return pump ?

Can't you just bypass a bit of flow from the main overflow pipe, maybe bypass with a 45 degree elbow and regulate it with a ballvalve? And then have that water draining again from the nano to the sump? Then you don't need any extra pumps.

My only concern is how do I work out the diameter of overflow pipe to accommodate the return pump ?
Put a ball valve on the line going from the pump to the nano tank, that way you should be able to regulate the flow returning from the nano to the sump.

Hey now this is something i am very familiar with! been thinkin of doing something like this for a while, for the future of course. you dont need any pumps or anything. what you do is you place the nano a little lower than your main tank, lower than the overflow mainly. you plumb a smaller pipe into the overflow, how is up to you, and use the gravity to act as a pump, then from the overflow of the nano back to your sump 1st chamber. so all that is happening is that a portion of your water from your overflow is taking a detour:) this would be nennie safe too:thumbup:

Being a nano, you don't need that much turn over. like Jacques said. 500 litres per hour at that head should be more than enough, you could probabl get away using 20mm pvc pipe, i'm using 32mm and got 3000l/h easy. you would connect it up identically as your main tank, just with 2 inputs and 2 returns (each with their own pump)

Being a nano, you don't need that much turn over.
no man blast it! its cyclone warr bru!! mantis run for your lives! kiss your wives and drink all your remaining rum before it gets swept away!!!!!!:p

the fish need exercise, a little bit of current never hurt nobody:)
regulating the flow would be a good idea though, with my idea it would be a nennie in the tank so the extra flow would be welcomed so i guess in your case you would need to.

Hotdog, legend buddy, legend:1::yeahdude:

Thanks guys, all great advice.

So I will go with 20mm piping and a 500L/H pump with gravity return.

Now this Nano has no overflow box, so will suction on the overflow pipe work, or do i have to get a separate overflow box ?

remember to take the head hight into account for the pump flow. suction return will NOT work, you will need to build one on to the tank or buy a hang on like the octopus.

remember to take the head hight into account for the pump flow. suction return will NOT work, you will need to build one on to the tank or buy a hang on like the octopus.

Will this do ?

Siphon Overflow Box Reef Octopus Siphon Overflow Box
overflowbox.jpg
The Reef Octopus siphon overflow box is ideal for people who don’t want to drill their tank but still want a sump.

Model
Description
OB-300s
Siphon Overflow Box
(240mm x 180 x 195)

I would assume I ave to modify the entire nano lid then.

Wow this is becoming more complicated than I first thought.

No way of having matching pumps on overflow and return ?

No, I don't think there is a way of getting the exact same flow both ways, and if one gets clogged with something, you are either going to have an empty sump or an empty nano!

No, I don't think there is a way of getting the exact same flow both ways, and if one gets clogged with something, you are either going to have an empty sump or an empty nano!
very true, why do you want to use a pump at all if you dont mind me asking? not to be pushy or anythin, just trying to understand your situation, by what about the double return from your 500L return? are you trying to avoid mods or what?

OK, so shopping list would like something like this:

1. Reef Octo Overflow box
  2. Reef Octo OTP-500 Pump
  3. 8 metres 20mm PVC piping
  4. Ball valve
  5. PVC weld
  6. PVC corner joiners
Anything else ?

is your 500 pump going into your overflow from your MT to pump into your mantis then from the reef overflow box to your MT sump? if thats the case i dont think you need a ball valve, but could be usefull. if you make your piping go upright for any length you are going to lose a lot of flow. a 50 will soon turn to like 250 if that if you make too many/upright bends hey, so test that pump first, cause i have a feeling you're gonna get too little flow. 3 90degree bends and a straight upright and my 2500lph return turned to like 1500 in a 20mm pipe. so you make instead want to go thinner pipewise?

Back
Top Bottom