Pls. help with ORCA 100 Setup

neo

Reaction score
Howdy
got myself an Orca 100 for my first ever tank.
This is the new design with the cone shaped transition RO-Orca skimmers...Gets Face lift - Dorry Pets

Can someone tell me how this should be setup i.e. how deep it must stand in the water, how I should adjust the internal water level using the supplied pipe, how to know when it is working OK or not etc.

The water level in the sump's skimmer compartment will be 300mm high.

Nope, you get the internal version as well. Tagging along as I have to setup my Orca 80 soon. The piping on the outlet is very loose, do you use pvc weld on the skimmer?

Caleb, don't glue the pipe, just use some plumbing tape around the end of the pipe and then twist it in place. It will seal perfectly but still be able to disassemble if need be.

Internal skimmer, OTP 2000 pump.
The pipes on mine is a tight fit so i do'nt think glue is necessary.
According to Lanzo you must adjust it so the bubbles start at the tapered neck, wil probably call him when I start my tank so he can explain a bit more.
Hope someone can explain a bit more here.

I have a Orka 80 and my Water depth was 300. I had to lift it 4cm so water level was below cone and have the intake 70% closed but it is working a bit better. hav pic will post

IMG_7604.jpg

Before lifting Skimmer. Water was to high overflowed into cup all the time

IMG_7752.jpg

after lifting. now i can take the skim cup off without filling whole thing with water. sorry not very detailed pic will take another one soon for you if you would like
Simon

I've never used one but if it were me I would aim to have the water level a bit lower, as in the pic below, I may be totally wrong but from my experience with the Reeftek/octopus internal skimmers, higher out of the water is generally better.

14b03b2f6de7df.jpg

Viper is on the mark there it needs to be lifted a bit and then u can adjust it on the adjuster pipe. How big is your tank as that skimmer seems a bit small for such a large tank.

IMG_7752.jpg

after lifting. now i can take the skim cup off without filling whole thing with water. sorry not very detailed pic will take another one soon for you if you would like
Simon

I did Lift it but not that much. 420L tank and sump. Cant have water level to low as DSB needs to be 150 and water over top same so 300 water level then skimmermust sit out of water and the problem is the top of the inside cabnet is only 630 so dont have tp much room to lift it. will take some better pics later and post them.

cool stuff man, should be ok, tank looks huge in the pics.

You dont need to lower the water level in the sump. you can raise the skimmer in the sump. put a container underneath or make an egg crate box or put some polystyrene underneath it as long as you raise it a bit

Go here as there are lotsa americans with this skimmer who share their experiences as well

2009 Reef Octopus Needlewheel Skimmer Club! - Page 8 - Reef Central Online Community

thx for the pics and advice, now we'v got a goot idea of what to do, that's what i was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom