Pls explain all the parts

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by neo, 28 Jun 2009.

1. neo

neo

Hello,
    so, I'v been reading, a lot, a LOT i say, still not sure about all the parts and how they work together, this is my understanding of all, pls check if I have it right:

1. You have your display with fish, rock, substrate etc.
    2. Display got some way of overflow, some have a box inside, others have a cut-out at back with a box catching water flowing over cut-out, what is C2C? I asume an overflow the width of the display tank?
    3. Overflow box feed the sump, free falling by means of some plumbing.
    Sump can have various designs but:
    4. Compartment catching water from overflow
    5. compartment for skimmer, fed from 4 by some buffer
    6. compartment for DSB fed from skimmer, buffer again??
    7. compartment for water and return pump and heaters and other gadgets.

Now,
    return pump pushes water into display, display fills up and overflows, water into sump, skimmer does its magic as well as the DSB and we reach the return pump again.
    Some lights are used for growth in DSB to do the necessary breakdown work, also some growth inside display, all this need some food comming from the LFS as well inside the system.

I asume if overflow cant handle return pump flow the display will overflow onto the floor??

Now we need some water moving inside the display, can do this with closed system like a swimming pool and/or some visible pumps in the tank and/or wave device - what if I want to go for closed only, is this possible? because I like a clean look without all the in-display stuff.

And all the time I have to test the water to check for pH, amonia etc.

and some water topup

and some water changes

How regular do I have to clean the glass, substrate etc.?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RUAN

RUAN

do you have a tank

4. neo

neo Thread Starter

nope, newby, very keen on getting one,
    had a simple freshwater from th LFS long time ago...

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Hi Neo, before i try to answer your questions, certain systems can only really be used on larger display tannks (effectively anyway) small tanks don't really cope with closed loops systems, larger ones do, but may need a couple of pumps in the tank to help out.

Have a look through the members tank section and see what it is you fancy - and see some of the items you speak of in action, remember that larger tanks - due to water volume - are easier to control, but cost more.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The overflow cannot outperform the return pump. Unless your overflow is at the bottom of the tank and it will drain the tank completely... Nope this is not the way its done

Think about it.

Overflow will remove excess water from display. Excess water can only be the volume water "dump" by return pump into system. So if your return pump delivers 500L/h at themaximum height, the overflow will remove 500L/h. Same for 50000L/h delivered by return pump. Overflow must then be big enough to handle 50000L/h. Now that will be one mother of a pump.

But you do not use monsters like those. The turnover rate through the sump should be 3-4-5 times the tank volume. So a 500L system, you need a return pump that delivers about 1500-2500L per hour at the height of your tank.

Recent Posts