Please tell me what this guy is?

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by CliveS, 15 Jun 2010.

1. CliveS

CliveS

I have a new Buyo 550 (138l) which is in its' 4th week of cycling (no livestock yet).

This chap must have arrived on the LR, or in the aragalive sand.

I first noticed him about two weeks into the cycle. He tends to hide in a crevice of one of the rocks, with one or two tendrils coming out and feeling around.

Tonight I managed to get a shot of his full body. It's not a great shot, as he moved pretty quickly while I was still trying to set up the shot, so please excuse the blurriness!

He has four legs/tendrils and I am certain that he cleaned a load of brown algae off the white rock (to the right of the picture). He must be about 5 to 6 cms in diameter.

Can anyone tell me what he is and if he is friend or foe.

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

brittle star, they are ok to have in a tank but sertain of them become trouble when big

4. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

Wow that was quick!! Thanks Johan.

Are these the guys that can sting?

5. Johan van Aardt

nah the brittle worms sting, but i have not experienced this myselg.

6. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

Oh that's what I was thinking of.

Thanks so much. Have a great weekend.

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I had one in my previous tank, cool guys and not a problem when small....however, when big, like mine was, my cleaner shrimps dissappeared although I fed the star every 2-3 days. I had no other predators in the tank. If one day you wanna take it out, just be careful cause they throw off some of their legs to escape - it will grow back though :)
    Mine was 34cm across, one leg was 15cm - here are 2 pics. That orange spotted goby was 10cm long, just to give you an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got 2. One inside a big round piece of LR soccer ball size, with only tentacles sticking out. Never comes out.

The other even bigger one I caught December in Ballito. Stays other side of the tank at same spot and also do not come out. Big boy, I reckon about 30cm across.

Then I found loads of small bristle stars, babies. Looks like the same colours as the one in the soccer ball. If they are its babies, :thumbup:. In total 1cm across.

Local Bristle starfish are not predators. They are reefsafe. Others like the green is not fish safe.

I feed mine once a week a piece of hake.

9. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

Geesh if it grows that size in my 138l tank - it's going to have to curl up to fit in!

10. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I got 2 blunt spined bristle stars and they are amazing scavengers, they dont sting or bite and are quite timid, also got about 6 mini ones which are about the size of a R1 coin hidden inside zoa colonies and between shrooms.

Tobes - nice star :thumbup: do u know what species it is? and what did you end up doing with it?

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Can't remember the species and swopped it at the LFS for something else. When they get that big, they can eat some stuff in the tank. I mean I did not have any other predators, not even a nennie and the one day the one shrimp was just gone and a few days later the other one, no bodies where ever found :(

12. Johan van Aardt

anyone know of someone in cpt that has those mini brittle stars, would love to get some of those as a clean up crew

Recent Posts