Please read if you use the Red Sea Nitrate Test Kit

Reaction score
Hey guys

I got a nitrate test kit from someone second hand and the manual talks about the three additives to perform the test - first it's 5 drops of Reagent A, then a scoop of Reagent B, then and scoop of Reagent C.

Now here's the thing - the test kit I have's Reagent C is not powder, but rather drops. Clearly labelled for the right test and as Reagent C, but it's not powder...

Can anyone share anything that may put my mind at ease that this test is giving me correct results?

I have the Marine Care kit from Red Sea.
My Nitrate is Reagent A = Drops, Reagent B = Powder, Reagent C = Powder

Hey guys

I got a nitrate test kit from someone second hand and the manual talks about the three additives to perform the test - first it's 5 drops of Reagent A, then a scoop of Reagent B, then and scoop of Reagent C.

Now here's the thing - the test kit I have's Reagent C is not powder, but rather drops. Clearly labelled for the right test and as Reagent C, but it's not powder...

Can anyone share anything that may put my mind at ease that this test is giving me correct results?
Clearly wrong the older kits came with all three regants as drops but then they changed it to one in drops and two with powder clearly he mixed up the kits

Thats what I was afraid of... :banghead:

I have reagent C which is also not powder, i did the test yesterday and if i remember correctly i only used one powder for the nitrate test which was reagent B. one of the bottles can be used for nitrite and nitrate and is labelled as such.....i think that was called the "indicator" and i think it was the last few drops after which you need to wait 9 minutes for the colour to show
it originally showed 0, but after some time turned pink indicative of a 5ppm nitrate concentration

@PhatJackyChan - So you are saying that your Nitrate test kit is the same as the one I am talking about and consists of Reagent A - Drops, Reagent B - Powder and Reagent C - Drops?

Here is a pic of mine.
239ed5222139927252328491407548ec.jpg

Also, if yours is old, what's the expiry date on it?

Last edited:
The expiry date is the same on all reagents and hasn't come yet - its in 2016 sometime if I remember correctly

If it helps any here is the old & new kits that i have seen - the newer kit is drops/powder/powder & the colours on the CD are more pink
The older kit was drops/drops/drops & the CD colours have some more red to them

Top in the pic is the older kit / Lower the newer one
Possible who you bought it off threw the wrong Reagent C into the box,One from an older kit?

lightbox

22848163834_51c1521a85_b.jpg

Last edited:
Well this story has a happy ending... a mate I've been helping set up a running system he bought in was given a newer nitrate refill kit that he didn't want as he had no vials etc, just the reagents and card. So it made its way into my kit and now I can be sure that everything is at it should be. :)

Although I must say I am still keen to test the old one as I'm getting the exact same result from both with my tank water - virtually 0. Great for the tank, but not so great for testing nitrate kits :-/

When's the last time you heard someone wishing their water was dirtier!?

Back
Top Bottom