Please please help! Whitespot Nightmare :(

Discussion in 'New Members' started by SpsMad, 27 Jun 2012.

1. SpsMad

SpsMad

I know white spot is a common problem, but, I really don't know what to do anymore.

At the beginning of the year it wiped out every fish I have. I then ran the tank for 3 months with no fish, and about a month ago I added a mandarin, gramma and purple tang.

They were fine for a while, but, now only the mandarin is whitespot free.

What can I do?

I have a full reef tank and removing the fish is not an option and to make matters worse I have a couple fish quarantining and they doing well, just not sure how risky it would be to add them, any ideas?

Lastly the sick fish are still eating like champions but the whipespot just won't go away.

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

put the tang in quarantine. he is probably the one thats the cause of the white spot. put all the others in a different quarantine tank. do not treat your DT with any chemical meds as they all are copper based and can harm your corrals.

as far as not removing fish.. i dont think you have much of a choice... sorry man

Last edited: 27 Jun 2012
  4. SpsMad

SpsMad Thread Starter

I did think of catching him, but it would be next to impossible.

My parameters are stable. What's the lightly hood of them pulling through without treatment and stable conditions as well as possibly adding a bit of garlic to their diet, would that work?

5. the fish

the fish

with the tang in there its hard to say because they are prone to get whitespot... often. as far as not working with any treatment could be risky i would say. im not keen on letting the fish suffer like that. im not sure about the garlic with the food. havent done any research on that. ive always trusted my chemical treatments. freshwater and marine water.

6. shaunn

shaunn

what food are u feeding them ?

7. SpsMad

SpsMad Thread Starter

I must admit, the whitespot started after the tang was added to the system. My concern with catching him and quarantining him is that he could just break out with whitespot down the line after re adding him.

I don't think they are suffering, if you were to look at the tang from the back of the room you wouldn't know that it's a sick fish. He swims normally with no flashing and eats out of my hand.

BUT I do want a 100% healthy fish.

8. SpsMad

SpsMad Thread Starter

Omega flakes, nori, ocean nutrition frozen foods. I hold the food in my hand under the water and he loves it. When I clean the glass he follows my hand all over the tank, that's why I'm so confused.

9. SteveZi

SteveZi

hi there,
    may I ask, do you use natural sea water to do waterchanges? and how often do you do water changes?

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Please define stable parameters, and how they were determined.

11. SpsMad

SpsMad Thread Starter

Hi. I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt and RO and I change 25l a week. Tank is 300l volume.

12. the fish

the fish

im really sorry to here about the outbreak man. thats the big problem with tangs unfortunately, you do run the risk of getting whitespot.. i really do hope you get him sorted. and hope its soon. :(. sorry if i wasnt of much help

13. SpsMad

SpsMad Thread Starter

The parameters are as follows:
    Temp 25
    Salinity 1.025
    pH 8.3
    NO3 0.1
    PO4 0.1
    KH 10
    Calcium 450
    Mag 1300

14. SpsMad

SpsMad Thread Starter

Appreciate the help the fish. Yeah. it's really frustrating, 2 weeks ago the tank was running so nicely. Hope I can sort this problem out.

15. SteveZi

SteveZi

i believe in the transfer method to cure fish with white spot.
    getting your entire system whitespot free is a bit more of a struggle though.

16. SpsMad

SpsMad Thread Starter

The real issue for me is the continual recurrence of whitespot in the system.

I have treated fish before with the transfer method it works well.

Also my other concern with catching the tang is how to do so without destroying my reef.

17. SteveZi

SteveZi

yes, maybe not a good idea to catch. and counterproductive since the system is infected in any case.
    Have you tried hyposalinity?
    I suggest keeping the fish well fed and see what happens.

18. SpsMad

SpsMad Thread Starter

Thanks. Problem with hyposalinity is it just treats the fish not the system.

Is there a recommended diet I could try to help boost the little guy?

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Salinity of 1.025 :eek:
    Salinity needs to be around 35.5
    I think you are referring to the SG of the water.:thumbup:

I have a few suggestions and they all relate to the environment of the fish. The first is not to do so many water change. If you are doing 30% per month, Then that was old school thinking. The reason for the big water changes was to help in the reduction of nitrates and phosphates. Today's filtration methods have drastically reduced this necessity and a 10-15% water change every 4-6 weeks is quite adequate. Frequent water changes cause stress on the fish and "wash out" bacteria that colonise in the water column.

Another thing i find stressful to fish is high ca and KH levels and the balance thereof. At your pH of 8,3 I would reduce the ca to 410 and kh to 7. this would be a balanced mix and reduce the stress the fish are under. With your ca reading of 450 i would like to see a KH of about 14 for a balanced mix. This is very stressful for fish.

Also, with the high ca level you have i would suspect that there is a big pH swing at night. Check the pH at 04h00 and then again at 16h00. let us know the difference. a big swing will also cause stress on the fish.

Just some pointers before you go stripping your tank many times.

Last edited: 27 Jun 2012
  20. SpsMad

SpsMad Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help.

Yes sorry my SG is 1.025.

My concern with dropping the ca and kh levels is that I have a Sps dominated tank, so my question's would be how would the coral handle the drops in ca and kh levels. How long should the levels be lowered for and how do I lower the levels.

I don't seem to have huge ph swings but I will check tomorrow at 04h00 and again at 16h00.

Thanks again for all the pointers.

21. the fish

the fish

also check water temps at the times @Nemos Janitor mentioned. big swings in your water temp can also lead to whitespot outbreaks.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts