Please ID this

Reaction score
100_1531.jpg

Hi Gaboon - if I am not mistaken, that looks like an aptaisia..... Hope not. BUT, if it is - you better try to kill it (try injecting it with some strong kalkwasser solution), alternatively, with something called "Joe's Juice" - or vinegar/pure lemon-juice may also work.... BUT no guarantees.....

Good luck with it.

Yep, a little aip, boiling R/O in a syringe also works, as do true peppermint shrimps.

The oral disk relative to the polyps look wrong for aiptasia. Looks more like a button polyp to me.

Isn't the tentacles a bit too long for a button polyp? I struggled between these two as well in the beginning, but then decided that the tentacles are far too long (I have button polyps and the tentacles are FAR shorter than what I see on the pic above) - also, the coloring is not really that of a button polyp??

I have those in my predator tank. Definitely not aiptasia (mine, that is). At night their tentacles extend quite far as they are mostly predatory.

No peppermint shrimps do not eat coral usually..... unless there's one individual that has developed a "taste" for coral polyps...

Very soon after adding my first pep' i did notice a sudden decline in the yellow star polyp population:)
Aips were perfectly unharmed though:whistling:

I can show you mine.... Pardon the pathetic image quality but my glass panes have not yet been cleaned this week.

_J8T2972.jpg

_J8T2973.jpg

No problems, likesfish. Thanks for posting a pic that gaboon can have something to compare to. Perhaps we should post a picture of aptaisia as well?
Someone have a close-up of aptiasia to post perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom