Please ID for me

Reaction score
Hey guys

Want you to please ID these. The last two are algae on the gravel, so please advise as to how I can get rid of it before it spreads to far.

1)

14594977109344382.jpg

2) Think it is some sort of Anemone. VERY small though...

14594977109354d13.jpg

3) Nuisance Algae

1459497710935b2a3.jpg

4) More Nuisance

1459497710a8216fd.jpg

If these are bad please advise how to get rid of it...

Last edited:
1) It is a funny little thing. +/- 1.5 cm long!!!
2) This is the best pic I could get. My camera can't zoom further. Size - well, if you take a white board marker and press it firmly on a whiteboard, that dot is about the same size.
3) My tank is alomost 2months. My tests "show" NO3 at 0ppm and PO4 at 0ppm. (Saying "show" as I am not to confident in the PO4 test) NO3 is tested with a Red Sea test kit though so it should be quite accurate.

Jaco,
Pic 1 : No idea , could be a sponge of some sort or an algae
Pic 2 : Not Aiptasia . Don't think it is mojano either. The tentacles appear to end in a rounded ball like tip, though not clear from the photo. Could be the same I have . Try looking at Corynactis species anemone. Otherwise have a look at the following link with photos :

http://www.starfish.ch/c-invertebrates/anemones.html

Pic 3 : The "red stuff" is cyano.
Pic 4 : Looks more like green hair algae to me.

Just my thoughts though.

Pic 2 : Not Aiptasia . Don't think it is mojano either. The tentacles appear to end in a rounded ball like tip, though not clear from the photo. Could be the same I have . Try looking at Corynactis species anemone. Otherwise have a look at the following link with photos :

http://www.starfish.ch/c-invertebrates/anemones.html

My "baby" Aiptasia in my tank look like this - with a white tip - I will try get a shot

Pic 4 : Looks more like green hair algae to me.

Agreed - but again, with my outbreak I have both red and brown - the brown is before it breaks up - the bubbles are exactly like mine

Your pic no.2 could be a euphylia glabrescence or torch, i`ve seen them `pop` out from good live rock before.

Very interesting . I didn't even think in that direction.

Midasblenny , from the photo (very unclear though) there appears to be an oral disc or mouth, unless I am mistaken.

Your pic no.2 could be a euphylia glabrescence or torch, i`ve seen them `pop` out from good live rock before.

i have tons of them on my LR, all good?

Hi Jaco , with your Cyano , do you dose any iodine ?"this can cause cyano " also how strong is your flow along the bottom of the tank , as cyano can become a problem if there is not enough flow :(

Cheers

Hi Jaco , with your Cyano , do you dose any iodine ?"this can cause cyano " also how strong is your flow along the bottom of the tank , as cyano can become a problem if there is not enough flow :(

Cheers

Is this a proven fact ? I never knew that.

Pic 1 looks like a Neomeris, harmless little algae but doesn't last long in our tanks.

Is this a proven fact ? I never knew that.

I would have to find proof on this , but as learning all the time i have been told this :)

I could be wrong ! Google it :)

I'll try and find some proof for you :)

cheers

Iodine is a form of antiseptic - antiseptic kills bacteria - cyano is bacteria..... cyano-bacteria.....

So - no. Iodine can never "feed" or cause cyano bacteria....

Sorry to disagree with you Tommo...

Iodine is a form of antiseptic - antiseptic kills bacteria - cyano is bacteria..... cyano-bacteria.....

So - no. Iodine can never "feed" or cause cyano bacteria....

Sorry to disagree with you Tommo...

Interesting. So therefore the higher your Iodine reading the LESS cyano ?

But if you overdose with iodine, you would destroy all the good bacteria, which could in turn cause many problems with the tank.??

According to the Seachem website the desireable concentrate is 0.06mg/L ppm but that many corals and crustaceans can benefit from higher levels.

I used to dose iodine , when i did , i found that cyano grew all over my DSB , now this could be just my tank, remember this is just an opinion :)

cheers Andrew

Back
Top Bottom