please id for me

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Francois van Zyl, 29 Jul 2012.

1. Francois van Zyl

Francois van Zyl

sorry for posting this in this section as well. just figured this is a better place to get the answers i am looking for. could anyone please tell me what kind of anemone this is, how easy or difficult they are to keep happy, and what is their lifespan? any other advise about them would be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

4. Francois van Zyl

Francois van Zyl Thread Starter

thanks for the help.... me and my wife got it on the weekend.. the shop owner seemd to think that they arnet that difficult, so we thaught we would give it a go. We have had our tank running for about a year now and all is good. We had a major disaster a while ago due to a wavemaker shocking and killing everything in the tank.. everything seems to be stable at the moment.

I hope we can make it work with this awsome anemone...

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

What type if lighting are you using?
    How long has your tank been running?
    NH3, NO2 and NO3 levels, PH, salinty, how many litres is your tank?
    Remember it's a living thing, think of it first.
    Not trying to be difficult and someone who doesn't want you to keep any LS, rather keep easier organisms that will bring your hours of joy than rather hours of worry and grief, anemones are not easy to keep, even the so called "easy" ones.
    Good luck though!
    Carlos

6. Francois van Zyl

tank has been running for about a year as i mentioned... all paremeters in the tank are stable and water is in good nic, lighting i have 3 t5s not sure of the wattage output will have to go check....

i know it is a living thing.. i came here for advise.. not a lecture. i will ask questions somewhere else in future. if i did not respect it as a living thing i would have not even asked the question.. looks like all forums are the same.....

we all have to learn some way or another i am not the kind of person to back out of a challenge because it is difficult.. i want to make it work...

thing is you trust the judgement of the retailer.......

obviously they want to make their money,, and i understand your concern but we all want to experience these things.

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Oh well..........if you felt I was lecturing you, so be it, was only trying to help.:(

8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Three T5s isn't going to be sufficient for a Heteractis. I reckon you'd need about 6 at the very least. These are some of the most light demanding and sensitive anemones. Best to research before you buy. Most LFS staff don't have much of a clue when it comes to livestock.

A good starter anemone would be a bubbletip (Entacmaea quadricolor) or perhaps even a Long Tentacle/Red Base (Macrodactyla doreensis) if you have a deep sand bed in the display.

9. Francois van Zyl

thanks for the help. mayby i ma just a bit sensative. just used to people crapping on each other on forums. but i admit all of this is new to me.. this is only my 3rd marine tank and i want to make things work ...

thanks for the info

and followed the link on the forum to some anemone basics

10. Francois van Zyl

yea i should have done the research before buying!!! damn it... but if you are in the store and it looks so good and all these exciting feelings come up... you know what i mean.. and the shop people say its will work then you get amped to buy.. anyway thanks for the help will go and see what kind of light ajustments i can make

11. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Yeeeah I think we've all succumbed to impulse buying at one time or another! Good luck though, if you can get a lighting upgrade you may do ok with it. Otherwise maybe ask the LFS if you can trade it for a different species?

LFS sell huge amounts of this species because it's an easy one to keep alive for 3-6 months. In reality anemones just have very slow metabolisms and they can take a very long time to die in less than ideal conditions. The amount of people who have kept this species for 2 years or more is quite small. Even then it's not much compared to their natural livespans of 100 years or more.

12. Francois van Zyl

would my three t5 lights be enough for something like a bubble anemone?? how difficult are mandiran fish to keep??

13. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Should be alright for a bubbletip.

Mandarins aren't particularly difficult, but they do need the right system to do well. Needs to be a large tank, at least 400 liters. Tankmates need to be very peaceful and slow eaters. Dartfish, gobies, pipefish etc are best.

14. Francois van Zyl

thanks so much... i am so frustrated at the moment. the lights on the tank just didnt want to go on. rewired all of them and still only one light worked, put it all together and that one died, think the fittings have corroded or....
    why must it be such a mission!!!

15. CocaColaza

CocaColaza

If its not a mission its no fun

16. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

In a Nutshell....if you get a Mandarin...make sure it eats frozen foods by you'r LFS...demand to actually SEE it eating..not many do and...worse case senario...die as they consume all you'r Copepods..hence the 9month wait before adding it to you'r Tank...many do get it to eat frozen, but it is long and tedious...best is to get one that definately eats prepaired foods...
    http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f76/diy-pod-condos-92373.html
    http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_diner.html

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=30571
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=14336
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=23130
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=16189

ORA Mandarins...
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=30495

17. neemow

neemow

In my personal experiance they do best under mh so Mabe just get a single mh and put it directly over the anemone:)

18. Tony

Tony

Ok now that you have the anemone, we have to give you caring tips. Your tank seems mature enough so that's one tick off the box. How stable are your parameters? What type of water flow do you have in the tank? What skimmer do you have?

The lighting will definately have to be upgraded. I dont know how wide and deep your tank is so I cant give advise there yet. The anemone will need to be fed with small pieces of fish, shrimp etc once or twice a week. Planctonic additions and fish poop also help feed the anemone. The thing is now to keep an eye on it as a stressed/unhappy anemone will move around a lot and a happy one will stay put. Funny enough your one seems happy with life. I also saw anemones at 40m depths in mauritius.

As to keeping a mandarin, they do need large, mature tank with oodles of live rock to help develop, protect and grow pods as they tend to overthink things before taking a peck at something. There should also be no competition for similar foods in the tank, as closed systems can only hold a finite amount of food and you dont want too many takers on your eat all you can buffet. Some do take to prepared and frozen food but are few and far between. If they do take to prepared food in a pet shop your tank should be free of gluttenous and aggresive feeders like damsels who wont give the guy a chance to get anything for himself. The tank should also be free of excessive mechanical filtration AKA filter floss which can trap and impede the movement of pods between your tank and sump. A sump refugium with no predation is a bonus for developing pods which get sucked into your main display to keep the population up.

Recent Posts