Please ID? - Anemone or Rhodactis?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hiya all - I am now stumped - I thought that this was an anemone that I bought - but now I am not so sure anymore..... At some stage - I thought that this might be a Heteractis Malu.....

But now I am confused? Please let me know if you have ANY IDEA?

Many thanks....

1454919cbb4d2dc9.jpg

Is that an Aptasia,i see there there on the left in the foreground.....
0002006E.gif
Sorry thought I mught aswell comment on something else seeing as I have no clue what that goodie is
000200BE.gif

I also think it could be Heteractis Malu... hmm, you might have to wait and see how it grows to know for sure...

Many thanks Siyaha! Yeah - that's what I though - BUT, I have tried feeding it - and it does not "readily" accept meaty food (perhaps YET?). I have had it now for about 3 weeks..... it is looking like it is growing though.... perhaps from the pellets/flakes that I feed the fish and possibly the metal halide lighting?

BUT - the short bubble-shaped tentacles? I have indeed read on WWM that the tentacles might be shrunken due to underfeeding..... BUT - the tentacles have NOT grown in the past 3 weeks, even though the nemmie(?) have grown about 2cm?

0002006E.gif
I was zapping the evil little things a little while ago,thought I was free of them until the other day when i spotted a few more......Guess what im doing this coming weekend
000202F7.gif

Jac- unfortunately, if that's what it is, it's going to be very, very difficult to care for.... one way to see... try putting it on sand. Heteractis Malu need to be on a deep sand bed with plenty of space around them.

Honestly, at first I thought it must be a corallimorph because H. malu don't attach to rocks like that... but I've never seen a corallimorph with tentacles like that.

Jac- do you think you could get pics from other angles? ...like from the "top" and such? Might help... and do you know where it came from? Maybe that will give a clue...

Haha... sorry, I don't feel like I'm being much help. This one is a thinker... :p

Jacques, how many different anemone's do you have in your tank? I'm just concerned that the reason why this one (if it is an anemone) is not extending its tentacles is due to chemical warfare being waged between the different anemone's.

Yeah... but the bubbles? I gotta tell yah... dude, I'm stumped! lol
Maybe they are just retracted and will extend eventually.Like once they are well fed
000200BE.gif
Perhaps they will settle in eventually now that they are in a good tank and extend to the purple tentacles as in the pic......what I know is scary,but thats what it looks like to me
00020114.gif

Jacques, how many different anemone's do you have in your tank? I'm just concerned that the reason why this one (if it is an anemone) is not extending its tentacles is due to chemical warfare being waged between the different anemone's.

Hi Viper - I have 3 different anemone's (except if you count aptaisia - then 4 ;))

My H. Magnifica, a carpet anemone and this one.... IF it is an anemone.... That is....

goodisor-- I don't think refraction is causing those bubbles... they're too perfectly bulbous... if that makes any sense (and if I spelled "bulbous" correctly--lol)

Yip thats it for sure...an underwater creature of some sort,most likely saltwater dwelling!!!:p

Back
Top Bottom