Please ID algae

Reaction score
I'm sure this is hair algae but just want to make sure.
algae2.jpg

This is the one that worries me. Can you also ID the lime green one.
algae1.jpg

Nitrates are undetectable and phosphates are 0.01.
I also have a huge amount of chaeto in the sump.

The 2nd pic is a mixture of Halimeda (bright green) and bryopsis.

Halimeda is ok, although it does consume calcium.

Bryopsis is a nightmare worse than hair algae and can take over your tank. You need to deal with that asap.

Cool thanks, its the only patch in the tank so need to act now. I started a thread a few days ago about just hooking up my calcium reactor, is it ok to dose Kents KH builder at the same time? My KH has remained at 7. Will check magnesium levels now.

Gaboon - here are 2 things that I found that works to remove the bryopsis algae (I struggled with it for a very long time):
- slowly increase your magnesium levels to eg 1500 - then keep it there for at least a few weeks
- slowly increase your alkalinity to 14dKh - then keep it there for the same number of weeks as the above
This should kill off the bryopsis by overloading it with magnesium, which accellerates the algae's metabolism, meaning that "it basically burns itself out".....

Thanks jacquesb, can I add the KH builder while the calcium reactor is running?

Thanks jacquesb, can I add the KH builder while the calcium reactor is running?

Yes, BUT you must obviously test your alkalinity/hardness and make sure that you do not go to high.

By the way: Halimeda only grows in tanks with excellent water quality, so that's saying something about your tank :thumbup:

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom