please help

Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone identify this white substance growing on my rock between my mushrooms. The shrooms are shrinking where this stuff is spreading

20160211_192651.jpg

RiaanP

Reaction score
yip, does look like sponge growth. Certain angels will eat it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Uhm i tried to scrape it but its damn tough.. I managed to get few chuncks off. Because the rock is so porous the best I could do was to just surface scrape it??

20160217_200438.jpg

Reaction score
If that doesn't work I'd probably have to try and get the rock out and break that piece off??

Reaction score
Tunicates & sponges are quite beneficial to your system. Their growth however waxes and wanes, so this growth may go away by itself.
Your shrooms may not like the close contact with the sponge, due to some chemical release from the sponge. The sponge is merely fighting for real estate space with the shrooms. Shrooms are very mildly aggressive ( some types have no defense mechanism at all) , but may win the battle in the long run.
IMO I would just leave it be for now and see how it progresses.

If you do decide to remove the rock to clear off the sponge it is best to keep the rock submerged (in a separate container of course) whilst scraping off the sponge. Taking out the rock and exposing it to air will kill the sponge almost immediately and whatever is left will rot in the tank.

Reaction score
Ok so the mushrooms are looking even worse now.. i dont think it had anything to do with the sponge? Or could it have? Heres the pics from few months ago and a pic from today? Any ideas will be appreciated

Reaction score
All the other coral including other types of mushrooms still normal

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Is it just the photo or do they look like they are bleaching?

Reaction score
That is an issue with ricordea yuma. I have had some that does fine the one day and the next they start to bleach and melt away. Many people have experienced this b

Reaction score
You have a flat worm problem there bud, you can see them in the pics sort out the flatworms and the mushrooms will come right

Reaction score
@weezle . Had a six line that kept it under control but he became bossy so took him out. The flatworm was very bad at a stage but mushrooms were still perfectly fine

RiaanP

Reaction score
Is the shrooms not shaded by the xenia above it?

Reaction score
Are u running LEDs?
If so have you tried moving them to the outer part of your tank in a area that gets less "par" and not maybe direct light?

I'm going through the same issue at the moment with my rics. Trying all possible avenues to stop them from just dying on me and this while everything else is healthy.. After moving them in my setup had one of two that started puffing up again the following day. Monitoring there progress. Ugh..Trial and error.

Reaction score
scrape as much as you can, use a waterproof electric toothbrush to get even more off the sponge off and or move to a low light area. Google's awesome...:thumbup1: