please help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by oceanic boy, 17 Oct 2011.

1. oceanic boy

oceanic boy

Hi everyone...

I want to start a dsb but lots of folks are telling me to do a lot of different things. Some people say I shouldn't make a dsb, but should just put some LR where the dsb should be?
    Other people say I should go the dsb route but I shouldn't put LR directly onto the sand. They say I should build a stand out of eggcrate..

I'm highly confused. Should I go with the 1st or 2nd 1? If 2nd, why shouldn't I put LR directly onto the sand?

Many thanks

Oceans 22

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

I could tell you to run a berlin system. Others might say, you should have an algae scrubber.
    That's how it is in this hobby. Many ways of doing it. You need to find out what works best for you.
    I know, that doesn't help you at all.
    Let's get some basic infos first.

What do you have so far?

4. LuckyFish

Now that you saw Jimbo's system, you will be probably even more confused. That's a berlin system.
    Big skimmer, auto top up via kalk stirrer, heater and that's it for the sump. No sand or LR!

5. paul bloem

paul bloem

I would go the second route, where ever live rock is directly on the sand that spots will not work at all.
    You need flow over all areas of the sand.

6. LuckyFish

Why do you want to start a dsb?

7. Meneer

Meneer

Live rock on sand in the DSB cause dead spots in the sand that will inhibit the growth of bacteria.

Also remember that the flow inside of the DSB is not very strong, and that could also cause your live rock to fill up with detris etc.

Also bear in mind that a DSB usually only starts functioning properly after 6-8 months.

DSB Works. So does Neovit, and Berlin System and ULNS.... - choice is yours.

Most important part is to understand whatever system you are using.

8. oceanic boy

oceanic boy Thread Starter

Thanx guys... Lol and yes I'm even more confuzzled now lol.... Well my tank is about 120L not sure how big the sump is... I'm quite new to this hobby... I was told to buy a good ts1 skimmer, so I went reef octopus.... I bought a return pump and the heater... Do I need any reactors???

9. LuckyFish

Depending on what you want to do and how much you are willing the spend.

How many kg LR have you got?
    What do you want to keep?
    Do you have high nitrates?

10. oceanic boy

Just started the tank a week ago... Wana let it run for a month or so.... Well I wana keep a lot of different anemones, easiest 1's though... Only going to keep about five small fish..should I get any reactor?

11. LuckyFish

Who said it's easy to keep a nennie?
    I'm not so very much into nennie's, but the pro's say, that a nennie needs a matured tank. I wonder why. Probably just like they say, that a mandarin needs a matured tank.

And for what you want to keep, you don't need any reactor.

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

if you want the simple way that works. listen to and communicate with luckyfish.

13. oceanic boy

Will do... I wana go the simple natural way.. I also believe that less is more..

14. LuckyFish

Glen, you either think a lot of me or you just want to keep me occupied.;)

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

marcel you are as subtle as a tiger tank. but you understand the te hnical issues behind the statemments you make and you always tell it like it is.so if someone wants the facts i send them to ze german

16. LuckyFish

Okay.

Subtle as a tiger tank? Hope that is not similar to elephant in the china shop.;)

17. mandarinman

mandarinman

yup you say what needs to be said and you do what needs to be done.like a tiger tank capiche

18. LuckyFish

Capiche:)

I'm not so good with these figures of speech. If I through the word "subtle" into my translator, it gives me way to many options. :(

19. mandarinman

mandarinman

marcel. if he wants the facts including the easiest way je can talk to you. if he wants to play around and experiment and end up with a garage full of experiments he can talk to me. if he wants to throw money at his tank he can listen to everyone.

20. seank

seank

It depends on how much you want to spend, and in saying that, I also mean how much you want to spend on a monthly/weekly basis.
    DSB's does work, I have proven photos, and no, my DSB size was not the same footprint size as my display tank. A DSB cost you nothing- you basically create a safe haven for all the benificial bacteria in your system. Yes, the Additives, reactors etc works just as well (I say just as well because I can show you Prized systems on this forum as well as another huge international- where Viper357 and myself are not welcome...lol- forum where DSB's are running some of the best tanks in the world, as well as systems running with additives/reactors/vodka etc.
    I prefer the DSB route, as I need not worry where money will come from month end to buy the expensive chemicals.
    As a newbie, start with the KISS (keep it simple stupid) route, you will not regret it.
    As for Nennies as well as Manderins- a system needs to be mature- Manderins need to feed of all the stuff in your sand bed, your water quality needs to be very good for nennies to thrive. What people do not always say (the ones who started off with nennies in a system-and not all before I get flacked here) is how long the nennies/manderins survived before they died of either mal nutrition or bad water quality.

Read up on whatever you want to add to your system (display tank) before you add it. Make sure they are compatible with each other, your tank is stable enough or big enough. That is the only way you will learn the right way- and make surethe data/facts you read is from a reliable source
    Then, you will see a difference in your system, as well as getting good results.
    We all had to learn somewhere, and not all advise given to us, proved to be the right advise for the specific tank one runs.....
    But there are a lot of experienced reefers out here you can trust... ;)

Good luck with your venture

21. seank

seank

I suppose you are reffering to a DSB in a seperate tank (filter tank), then yes, do not put the live rock on top of tha sand, as you will make "dead spots" on your sand bed for your bacteria (again, I have to be proven wrong as I did have live rock on my sand and the amount of critters that bred underneith was amazing), but the gurus say that you will get dead spots wrt bacteria, worms, lice etc not living in the shadows- I say it is crap, but then again, what worked for me, does not mean that it will work for you

Recent Posts