Please help with my setup!

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by gecco, 6 Aug 2009.

1. gecco

gecco

[​IMG]

Okay it's time to start things of as I'm tired of planning in my head. This is my design I need to fine tune before I start. I've got a 1500x500x500 main tank, the sump will be 750x400x500 due to space issues. As can be seen above I'm thinking of running a fat :lol: scrubber with the sump. The pipping will be 50mm. The whole engin will be in a room behind the DT so the pipes will go thru the wall in to this back room.

What pumps for the return to the DT and to the scrubber will be needed.

So am I on the right path here???

:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

You can safely go for a 2000-25000lph return pump and a 2000lph pump for your scrubber with a ball valve attached to control the flow over the scrubber. You're also going to battle to get plumbing for a 50mm return. Try and go for 25-32mm PVC tubing

4. marine101

marine101

Good concept. I dont like commenting if i havent seen something, but, if your return to display pump is off then u Gona get reverse flow in your sump if the scrubber pump is still on. Id Swop the inlet and outlet of the scrubber around i think, but i haven seen the thing in reality. What do others say?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. gecco

gecco Thread Starter

Sorry my bad :(!!

I got a durso in the DT so reverse flow will be okay I rekon.

Point taken Tony lets all then look at it with 32mm pipes????

6. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

Ive been toying with an idea in my head now for some time. It makes use of water levels to control the inlet and outlet.
    Im fantasising about a monster tank with an engine room somewhere near by.
    Water will try and remain level and you only pump between chambers to move the water.
    [​IMG]

with this concept one could mimic high tide and low tide currents by using another pump. the 12 hours pump betwenn inlet chamber to outlet chamber turns off.
    water level normalises and then 2nd pump starts to pump from oulet into inlet chamber

7. Broder

Broder Mudshark

The pipe to the scrubber can be 32mm pvc or similar clear flexible pipe if you're going with a big, say 5000l/hr scrubber. Drain dursos should be 2x 32mm pipes.

8. dogstar

dogstar

I didnt even think of the reverse flow thing, well spotted. The reason for me saying swap them is because any gunk/detritus from the Scrubber is bypassing the DSB in the sump (which i assume is the middle compartment), also i presume the skimmer will be in compartment 1, and again, you bypassing that.

Otherwise all good

9. gecco

gecco Thread Starter

I'll double check my outlet in the DT tonight, and spot on Dogstar, the middle compartment will be a DSB. I'm thinking of only running the scrubber and only use a skimmer in emergencies. But this is not written in stone yet :)

Oh yes got a phos-ban reactor aswell so that will be in the last compartment......

10. dogstar

dogstar

If you have a skimmer already, why not just use it full time. Think of it as a safety net. Check with mudshark.

Recent Posts