Please help with clam

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by reefer101, 9 Jan 2016.

1. reefer101

reefer101 Archangel

Hi
    First I.d this clams please.
    I got a clam yesterday as gift from my girlfriend, I acclimated with drip method for an hour or more then placed it at the bottom of the tank. It opened up nicely but seen it started to gap did research gaping and it sounds bad now I'm really worried if its going to be okay this is the first time I ever had a clam.

Tested my parameters:
    Temp: 25.5
    SG: 1.025
    Ph: 8.1
    Alk: 9
    Calcium: 420
    NO3: 20
    PO4: .2
    Weekly water changers done 20%

Clam is in a low flow area
    Any help will be appreciated thanks

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. reefer101

reefer101 Thread Starter Archangel

[​IMG]

4. ascheff

ascheff

You can't really reliably identify clams by their mantle alone, looking at the shell shape and texture, and basal opening is much more reliable.

Here's a good article on identifying some of the most common tridacna clams: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/jf/feature/

A few more species have been named recently, but it will likely be one in this article. After you have identified it, look for articles by this same author on Advanced Aquarist. He has articles covering most common species.

What do you mean by "started to gap"?

reefer101 likes this.
  5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

It's a Crocea clam. They prefer to be placed onto a hard substrate so put it on some flattish rock if you can, they will then attach themselves to the rock with what's known as bysal threads after a few days. It's generally going to be a permanent attachment so make sure where you put it is where it's going to stay, lol. If you do have to move it after a while be very gentle as it will be attached and you may have to cut the bysal strands if you can't move the rock.

It doesn't seem to be gaping that badly, the mantle is out so that's a good sign, not much you can do if it gets worse apart from take it out before it dies and pollutes the tank. Keep an eye if the mantle doesn't come out. Also wave your hand over the top of the tank where it is, the mantle should retract from the change in the light/shadow, this is a good sign it's ok.

They require very strong lighting, what lights have you got? You may need to slowly move them clam higher up in the tank if your lighting is not strong enough, move the clam with it's attached rock. ;)

Nitrate and Phosphate are a bit high, although not overly high I don't think, try and work on getting those down. Rest of the parameters are spot on. Magnesium?

Flow wise, I found mine liked a bit of flow, but not very strong flow, kinda medium, lol. They are avid filter feeders so need good waterflow around them to bring them food.

tekkengal and reefer101 like this.
  6. reefer101

Mag is 1300 but that's with an expired test kit will get another this evening. Lighting is 54wats leds 18x3watts. Will place a small rock under it now. Thank you guys for your help

7. viper357

How's the clam doing?

8. reefer101

Looking great thanks...stopped gapping :thumbup1:

9. viper357

Good to hear :)

Recent Posts