Please help with a plan B

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by duanead, 8 Feb 2012.

1. duanead

duanead

Hi guys so I started my marine tank about 8 months ago and in beginning it was awesome,then I got the worst algae problem ever and lost almost everything.

I tried everything more water changes,moving np reactor before skimmer,dosing special blend and prodibio bio digest and it worked.everything cleared away and I thought great until a week ago and there it was,the algae was back

Then I did some recearch and read that if np pellets mule gets released and doesn't get removed it turns into phosphates and nitrates again is it true?

If it is here is my problem,Im running the np pellets in a bubble magus reactor which has these holes on top where the water is released so I can't plumb it into the skimmer,

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

The reactor could be your problem, also what skimmer are you using?

4. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Using a skimz sm 161 skimmer,rated for 800-1200litres and tank is about 550litres.looking to upgrade later on but for a student it is difficult to get that type of money

5. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Upgrading the skimmer? What for? Seems to be okay for your tank.
    Talking about your tank. Post pictures of tank and sump. The more details we have, the better the advice and solution will be.;)

6. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi Duane

What you said is quite right mulmn which gets release by the reactor is bacteria carrying n03 and p04. you need to have it out put to the skimmer straight. Your skimmer is fine, try and run it as wet as possible

First lets start with the pertinent questions
    1) what are your water parameters eg. Alk, n03,p04
    2) have you been topping up your pellets?
    3) what is the flow like through your pellets?
    What other nutrient export systems if any do you have ?
    Do you have ozone, uv ?

Do you have any phosphate binding agents ?

We can fix this !!!!:p

7. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

That could be the key question. The reactor should run like a fluidised bed filter.
    Meaning that the pellets should move inside, so anything else will wash out of the reactor. Also the whole filter media inside the reactor will get in contact with the water that flows through it. Remember, water always takes the easiest way. To little flow and there will be movement inside the reactor just straight from the inlet to the outlet.
    I have zero experiences with these pellets or reactors, but a carbon reactor should run the same for the very same reasons above.

Pete likes this.
  8. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

1)as tested on friday, nitrites0,nitrates 10,ammonia 0,Ph 8.3,alk 8,salinity 1.025,mag 1160 (low this is another problem can't manage to keep it up),calcium 390 same as mag can't keep it above 400,phosphates 0,3
    2)yes have been topping up pellets only using about 400ml of media
    3)not sure but it is tumbling nicely
    Only use carbon other than np reactor
    -no uv or ozone and no phosphate binding agents

9. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Will try upload when have time later today

10. Tony

Tony

Bacteria, bacteria and bacteria. I've always punted it and it's haways worked for me especially coupled with carbon dosing. You do need a decent skimmer

11. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Hi I've heard of it and I'm dosing prodibio bio digest,would you suggest me using something else?

12. Tony

Tony

I tried using the NP pellets in the bubble magus reactor and it never worked for me. I would stick with the biodigest additions once a week but turn your skimmer off overnight. SO you will add the biodigest just before you go to bed and turn it on the next morning. Do this on the weekend and whn you turn your skimmer back on the next day set it to skim a bit drier as it goes mad for an hour or so which is why a weekend is better.

I would also start on a vodka (any cheap one) regime of 0.5ml of vodka per 100 litres of water per day for two weeks. You can then up the dosage to 1ml per 100 litres of water per day.

What skimmer do you have and what is your tank volume?

13. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I'm looking at the same set-up for my "upgrade"..total volume 500L..Have my eye on the same Model...saying it's not going to do the job...?...or will it...only if I stick with Softies and a few LPS..I thought they decent...hell...I thought they were up there with the "good ones"..

14. Tony

Tony

The skimmer is well rated. A skimmer will only work if there is something to skim. If the system is going to be lightly stocked with fish then I can see any issues

15. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Thanks Tony will try what you suggested and try and get a better reactor which can be plumbed into the skimmer

16. williet

Dude... You have problems... Either your test kits are kak or you have some really big issues.

Do you have a lot of Coraline algae ? Your mag is WAAAAYY to low. Calcium is still survivable but you magnesium needs some work.

Are you dosing anything ? how often do you water change.

Important thing of pellets are get your parameters right before starting to use them. Magnesium is important in calcification and other growth in your tank!

17. Tony

Tony

Your reactor doesnt need to plumb into the skimmer but as long as your skimmer is well rated for your tank it will remove the mulm from the bio pellets.

Willie makes a good point about your Mag so try and get it retested. You probably find your system isnt balanced which is why things are all out of sync. You need to get you Ca, Alk and Mag in sync and this will help with your magnesium.

What is your KH?

18. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

That's what's bothering me I'm doing 50litres water change every week and dosing seachem magnesium and it keeps at a low level,and I'm using salifernt test kits

Last edited: 9 Feb 2012
  19. williet

They normally quite good ! The salifert that is! do a test on you water you are using for the water change and also get another test kit maybe ???

20. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Also thought of that,thanks for all the advise and help

21. danimal

danimal

what bacteria specifically @Tony? and how are you dosing your carbon?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts