please help or give advice if you can ...

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by ZeroCool, 10 Dec 2009.

1. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Good morning everyone, i bought a "Blacksaddle mimic" about 4 weeks ago ... Wow, lovely fish. I asked the local pet shop, is it coral or reef friendly, and their reply was, YES YES YES, for sure !

Mmm, 4 week laters, well, all my tube worms are eaten, and almost all of my hermit crabs are also gone ... it nibbles alot on the coral i have.

Does anyone know or had the same experiences with it. That is the only thing i added in the last month.

If it isnt safe, i would rather go and chat to the local pet store to hear if i can return it, and if not, swap it if anyone is interested, or even sell it.

please advise guys ...

it is really a pretty fish, but in the long run, rather get rid of it now than later and have endless damage !

:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there Zero why not sump it for a few days and see how it goes - if everything normalizes than you can be sure it was the culprit then see how you can get rid of it

4. seank

seank

Are you talking about this fish????

[​IMG]

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

we are going to need a more accurate description of the fish for starters but if it is the puffer in sean's pic they can be quite troublesome being known to knip at other fishes fins as well as pecking at coral.. an added disadvantage is that this little fish can secrete a poision of harrassed causing a possible wipeout of your system.. while i believe the latter is rather rare it is not to be ruled out..

6. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

hi Chikaboo ... mm i can't really. I have a buyo ... and placing fish in the back of the bank is just crual i think. so that isnt really an option.

before i got him, everything was ok, for 6 months !

7. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

jip, that is the one ! :(

8. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

i am 100% with you, and yes, it is the listed fish above :(

such a pretty thing ... but ja ... time to make a plan. rather lose him and have not more damage at all.

example, i bought 2 hermits last week ... this morning, only the shells remained.

9. JD167

JD167

Dude take it back to LFS. I'm sure they will understand. If the fish is in good condition and healthy they shouldn't have a problem.

10. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

Well, i contacted them now via email, lets see what they say.

11. Boendoe

Boendoe

Dude they are not reef save at all, stay away from puffers if you want to keep corals and inverts. Whit the exception of a few most of them will have a feast on a reef tank.

12. seank

seank

Hope this helps you to understand it better:

[​IMG]
    Species name: Canthigaster valentini
    Common names: Valentini Puffer, Valentinni’s sharpnose puffer, Saddled Toby, Saddled Puffer
    Family: Tetraodontidae (Puffers)
    Order: Tetraodontiformes (puffers and filefishes)
    Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
    Maximum length: 4.3 in
    Minimum tank size: 30 Gallon
    Hardiness: Medium (see comments bellow)
    Aggressiveness: Semi-aggressive. Keep only one per tank unless kept with a member of the opposite sex. It will fight with conspecifics such as the filefish, large finned fish, and other tobies. It sometimes nips the fins of long finned species but not all specimens do this.
    Reef Compatibility: No. Puffers tend to pick at everything from crustaceans to corals and live rock. They can be kept with larger stinging sea anemones.
    Distribution: Indo-Pacific: Red Sea south to Durban, South Africa and east to the Tuamoto Islands, north to southern Japan, south to Lord Howe Island.
    Diet: Omnivore. In nature it feeds on algae and invertebrates. Its teeth are specially adapted to feed on hard materials. In the aquarium, it needs a varied diet of meaty foods including squid, krill, clams, and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth.
    Additional information:
    The Valentini Puffer, also known as the Black Saddle Pufferfish, Blacksaddled Toby, Valentini Toby, or Saddled Toby is from the Indo-Pacific region where it can be found among coral heads and rocks of lagoon and seaward reefs at depths of 5 to 180 feet.
    In the wild, it forms large shoals (10-100 or more). Some members of the shoal (about 5%) are actually the filefish Paraluterus prionurus, which mimics this species. The Valentini Puffer is a nocturnal hunter by nature.
    Saddled Valentini has a white body with four distinct black stripes on the upper half. The body is also covered with brownish-orange dots. It has yellow fins, and blue striping running along the back. It lacks pelvic fins, but has learned to use the pectoral fins to move about the aquarium.
    Males have blue-green lines radiating from the back of the eyes. They are also larger than females and may also have a light gray patch in front of the anus.
    It has the ability to inflate itself to twice its original size by injesting water into the ventral portion of their body. Try not to use a net when handling this fish.
    It’s flesh is poisonous. Do not eat! If ingested seek immediate medical attention.
    The Valentini Puffer prefers tanks of at least 30 gallons with plenty of hiding places as well as a lot of open space to swim on. The tank should be well circulated with calmer areas for the fish to rest in. The Saddled toby doesn’t care much about the lighting of the tank but it will appreciate some shaded areas in tanks with strong lights. Keep temperature at 72 to 78F, pH at 8.1 to 8.4 and specific gravity between 1.023 and 1.025.

13. seank

seank

And this is what some had to say:

14. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

I cant believe hom LFS staff rip people off, its sick. I myself always go to stores and pretend to know absolute nothing about marines and ask the people that work there all kind of questions...you wont believe how they talk crap!!:(

15. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

16. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

I am beyound gatvol for LFS ... really ! sorry, but F ..... K !

not that, they dont know how they are damaging our systems, nor loosing stuff we loved !

17. FransSny

FransSny

Dont buy before researching first....a LOT of LFS's havent got a clue

18. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

that is true ! well, it looked like a good fish to have ! but ja ... i am also the guilty one here !

19. Pads

Pads

I could never be that daring but the things I've learnt on this forum have gone a long way to ensuring I don't buy sick, incompatible fish. I think if anyone is not sure they should post their fish list and let the members give advise.

20. JD167

JD167

I'm also guilty here. We all are I think. That's why I now either research the LS I want and only buy when I see it at LFS, or if I'm at the LFS and I'm not sure I would rather call a fellow Reefer and check with him. It's easier on your wallet and you can save the fish a lot of stress.

21. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

Hi there pads, mmm, well, yes, i agree with you ! first find out what whom where what ...

Recent Posts