Please help me choose/find a tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by camken, 15 Oct 2010.

1. camken

camken

Hi All

Great forum- so awesome be to able to find a site that has all the answers!!

Ive had different tropical tanks for many many years, but Ive lways yearned for the ultimate setup- marine!
    I've finally decided to go for it, and I've done quite a bit of research- there is so much out there.
    But the only question I still have is about the actual tank. Im looking for about 100L tank, I dont want to go bigger because I be sure I'll be able to afford the upkeep in the long run, and I think 100L is a good size.
    Now I'm not sure if it's best to go for a complete system like the Boyu, or use one if my existing tanks and convert it?
    Obviously converting will probably be cheaper, but what does everyone else think?
    The Boyu seems so much simpler because its all ready to go?
    I love the look of the Boyu, but they are out of my price range.
    Could anyone suggest where I could get hold of a second hand one in Cape Town? Is there a site geared towards second hand tanks/equipment?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. zayd

zayd

Welcome and check out the "For Sale" forum on this site.

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome yo! Check out the for sale forums like everyday because u can pick up some real lucks! I saw just drill ur current tank, make an overflow and a sump.. Diy the lights and use a jebo skimmer.. then later on u can get a better skimmer

5. crispin

crispin

hello camken and welcome to masa, its great to have you join and i am sure everyone will do all they can to help you along your road of discovery :)

im willing to be a fair size of my salary (i am unemployed so you take a guess how much:)) that youve heard marines are difficult and expensive. Both are true to a degree, but there is alot one can do to make them easy and not so expensive, let me give you a few tips:)

marines is all about water quality. Get that right and things are easy....mess that up and you'll throw in the towel before mikes landed his first uppercut. To get water quality stable and right we use a number of filtration aids. No amount of effort ever goes to waste when improving water quality. There is lots to learn about filtration but i'll skip that just for now.

A plug and play tank with a buildt in back compartment with a little filtration section (read boyo, red sea max etc) are fine to a point but they are limited in how good you can get the tank. A tank with a dedicated sump allows you far greater diversity with regards to filtration and thus a far better (IMHO) tank. Being able to have a decent skimmer, decent amount of live rock, macro algae, algae scrubber, phosphate reactors etc etc (i can keep going for a while) is greatly to your advantage.

Should you drill and old bath water tank and convert it, or buy a marine ready tank with sump and return pump etc? Personally id go for a second hand tank which has the basic equipment with it and build up the system you want. Our for sales forums are good and as you are new here have a look here General Marine Sales - Marine Aquariums of South Africa you'll often find good deals there.

Size realy counts in marines!!! the bigger the tank the better the water stability is and the more likley you will be able to keep an array of fish and inverts that you like. For example I started with 800l tank so that it could absorb my mistakes, so i think relook at the 100l idea, i am sure you'll find a 500l tank or so and that will serve you better to learn with.

PS ive just been through some of the threads for sale in cpt for you and this one is a 450l going cheap 450LT Full set up for sale: DURBANVILLE - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

and this one 4 ft system for sale cape town.: Stellenbosch - Marine Aquariums of South Africa is also very cheap and a good looking system.
    Frankly i dont think either of those tanks reached their potencial and youd do well to think about getting them, although either deal may need some additional upgraded equipment :)

hope that helps

6. crispin

crispin

Get the BIGGEST AND BEST skimmer you can afford from the start, it will save your ass many times over while you learn the ropes.

7. camken

camken Thread Starter

Thanks

wow guys, thanks for all the help!:thumbup:
    I feel like a complete idiot, because I did actually look for a 'for sale' thread before I posted this one, and I didnt see it anywhere!!

Ive taken everyones advice into consideration, and I think a tank with a sump is what I should go for even though it'll be bigger than I was expecting!
    Ive already replied to the advert for the 450L tank- thanks Crispan.

Im so glad Ive found this forum, because even though there is a ton of info on the web, its nice to have a South African one where I can find out info on the specific brands available here etc.

Just from reading your reply Crispan, I can see I have a lot to learn!! But I have patience and am willing to wait as long as it takes to get my tank up and running smoothly (unfortunately I dont quite have the bank account to sustain such an expensive and addictive habit!! I think I might need to switch to crack because its cheaper and less addictive!!lol)

Once I do finally find a tank that is suitable, be sure that I will be posting question after question on this forum!!

Thanks again- and please keep your eyes open for any good deals for me!!

8. crispin

crispin

dont listen to that crispan fella, he's a complete idiot and just shouts at people who abuse fish and life stock....

the stuff i said above might be of use though

9. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Great advice Crispin,

Go for the bigger tank. In the long run of things it will be easier and a bit more expensive. Second hand tanks and skimmers are the cheapest way to go.

If you take your time in this hobby you will find some amazing bargains!

Best of luck!

Recent Posts