Please Help ID

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Trachyphillia radiata/lobophyillia hemprichii i can never really pin the little buggers down

irie ivan

Copperband
Reaction score
Always gonna be an difficult but self educated guess between the following 3:

Lobophyllia, Trachyphyllia and Symphyllia.
- We can definitely rule out Symphyllia, as there is no distict "groove" on top
of the polyp (fleshy part)
- To qualify as lobophyllia would require more "heads" for a specimen that size,
so that leaves us with Trachyphyllia.

The care requirements w.r.t. feeding, flow and lighting are pretty similar (close enough in my opinion to be the same), but note that lobophyllia and symphyllia are considerably more agressive than trachyphyllia!

ps. Really stunning specimen

sunburst

Foxface
Reaction score
Thanks Ivan + Wee Man.

It was an incredibly lucky find. Every time i look at him i get a warm feeling. I think i should go back to the LFS and ask where it came from, because i am still not convinced by the id. My intial feeling was also trachy/lobo ; but 8 weeks later i can see he has recovered from the distress of shipping, coloured up and has started responding to feeding. Tentacles fully exposed

His body/polyp sits very low on the skeleton. No fleshy pouting protrusions that you would expect from lobo/trachy. More like a healthy enlarged favia.

millepora

Blenny
Reaction score
Not a Favia Shaun.
Ivan I wouldn’t say we can “defiantly” rule out Symphyllia as most, but not all species have distinct grooves. This specimen very closely resembles Symphyllia agaricia, which has the groove but not as distinct as other species.
However skeletal shape may suggest it is indeed a Trachyphyllia. I agree with your Care Requirements and think we needn’t get too caught up in the species ID so long as the “general ID tells us more or less its care requirements. (as is the case here)
Awesome specimen Shaun, I want I want I want!!!:p

Tony

Flame Angel
Reaction score
Trachyphilia