Please help ID some snails

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by ascheff, 27 Dec 2014.

1. ascheff

ascheff

Hi guys, @RiaanP; et al,

I need an ID on some snails that hitchhicked on a coral I just got. I'm busy dripping them with the coral, but need to decide if they go in my display or my sump.

I seem to have gotten some Stomatella, as well as what I think (hope) is Nassarius.

I'm just not 100% about the color on what I think is a Nassarius. The shape and the snorkel seems right though.

[​IMG]

Am I right in both cases, Stomatella and Nassarius?

I'm planning on getting Clams at some point. Are these safe with my corals and future clams?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mewik

Mewik

I would say the one on the left is a predator. The proboscis is generally used to hunt other critters. I am sure someone with more knowledge can id the snail but I would keep it separately until then

ascheff likes this.
  4. Mewik

Mewik

And yes the one on the right does appear to be a stomatella

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

One on left is part of the cowrie family, a snail predator. Sump him. One on right is stomatella, great to have in your tank.

ascheff likes this.
  6. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Thanks for the input so far.

Here is another photo of the snails.

[​IMG]

I don't think I've had so many visible hitchhikers before, I also have some Asterina stars, which I think I'll put in my sump / refugium

7. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

ascheff likes this.
  8. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Thanks @Lord_Blackadder; I think you're right about it being a Dove Shell. There are a ton of them though, many looking very similar. I think these are the closest:

Dotted/Varicolored Dove Shell - Euplica scripta
    Rustica Dove Shell - Columbella rustica

I'm leaning towards Euplica scripta, but I'm no closer to knowing if it's safe to put in my display. Two more Stomatella fell off the coral when I dipped it, and I put them in with these snails, so I'll see if they eat the dead Stomatella.

9. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

One reason I'm leaning towards Euplica scripta is its distribution. Columbella rustica is found from Mediterranean to Angola, which is mostly the Atlantic. Euplica scripta is found in the Indo-Pacific, which is more likely if it were a hitchhiker on coral.

10. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

There are hundreds of very similar species in the family, so I wouldn't speculate. If I had the shell in hand I could tell you what it was, but it's difficult from a photo. The ones in your photo are also juvenile and the shape of the shell changes quite a bit when they become adult.

If they are Euplica, then those are mostly vegetarian.

11. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't think I'll take a chance for now. I've got Nerite and Trochus snails in my display. I'll rather add them to my sump / refugium, where there's plenty of algae and detritus, as well as quite a few baby snails, probably Nerite and some others with pyramid shape shells, so they won't go hungry. I'll keep an eye on them there to see what they eat.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

on what did you find these as hitchhikers?

Strange to find so many vegatarian snails as hitchhiker on a coral. The Stomatella I do understand but multiple Dove snails? Just strange for me.

13. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

[​IMG]

They were on one of these palm sizes plates with dead crushed coral and three live zoa polyps. Lots of nooks and crannies, coralline and film algae. And they're small, the smaller about 4mm, the bigger about 8mm. I was also surprised at the amount of stuff I pulled off it. Also about 8 Stomatella (2 dead after the dip) and an Asterina star.
    @RiaanP Do you think the Dove Shells are safe with other snails, shrimp, serpent star, coral and clams?

14. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

If some of the snails didn't fall off in the bag, I probably never would have inspected it so closely and would have killed most with the dip. The Stomatella are especially hard to see when they are flat against the surface.

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

there are about 400 species in this family.

I would sump them and check what they eat most are carnivorous scavengers, and would go for small piece of hake or dead mussel. Add that and see what they do.

ascheff likes this.
  16. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Thanks, they are in the sump at the moment. I'll keep an eye on them there; if my other baby snails start disappearing (hopefully not) I'll know they're bad news.

For now I'm very annoyed with my tank; one of my favourite fish, a Yasha Goby, committed suicide by doing tile surfing over night. :(

Recent Posts