Please help ID some critters

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by B2048, 16 Aug 2010.

1. B2048

B2048

Hi all

Well, my tank is finally up and running. It's only been a day and I have seen some critters running around and wondered if anyone could help ID them.

This is a pic of my tank - it's about 250L and I've got about 18kg's of Indonesian live rock in it.

[​IMG]

These are some of the critters I have seen - also noticed some bristle worms but haven't been able to take a photo of any just yet. Also two "baby" mantis shrimp that scurried for the rock when I switched the lights on. One was about 10mm and the other 5mm big. Think they are mantis shrimp - were almost a translucent green colour.

Some of these pics aren't the best - so apologies in advance.

This crab is particularly hairy and I'm gathering will be no good for my tank in the long run (I've seen about six of them so far)

[​IMG]

More worrying are these little anemones that I've seen on certain pieces of rock, can anyone ID whether this is aiptasia or majano? Most are not bigger than about 5mm - so pretty small at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I'm assuming these are Feather Duster worms - seen also a few these on the rock

[​IMG]

any tips or advice you can give me?

Thanks!

B.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

I do not trust any crab without a shell, but that is me

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Put the crabs in your sump, it looks like it may be a gorilla crab but I'm not 100% sure.

The anemone pics aren't too clear but judging by the tips of the tentacles I would say look up beadlet or jewel anemone's.

Yip, harmless feather duster worm.

Your shrimps could be mantis or pistol shrimps, try to get a positive ID on them and be careful when dealing with them, they can inflict serious injury.

Lots of life on your rock, good sign. :thumbup:

5. B2048

B2048 Thread Starter

thanks, guys!

The anemones don't seem to be aiptasia or majano if I compare them to other pics on the net. Just want to make sure that they don't go rogue and grow on everything.

As for the crabs I will have to try and catch them! I spotted another crab in there last night - this one doesn't seem to be hairy like the other ones. Couldn't get a good look at it though to make sure :(

B.

6. Evo R

Evo R

Useing the glass jar method if i was you i would try and catch all of them and sump them! And only after positive clear id,would i put them back in the DT.It will be much easier to catch and remove them now while you are still cycling as when your tank is fully stocked.This is just out of personal experiance.

7. B2048

B2048 Thread Starter

I sent the pics off to a website which hosts a FAQ's on marine life, and they identified the "anemones" as being a type of stony coral - so at least it's one less thing I have to remove from my tank. They did notice the caulerpa in one of my pics and suggested that I remove those from the rock.

Thanks once again!

B.

8. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

I wouldn't mind one or 2 of those crabs.

Would be willing to swap some zoanthids for them.

9. B2048

B2048 Thread Starter

Gosh, SaltyReef! You would be doing me a big favour. I wouldn't mind giving you all of them. I have some the size of a 25 cent piece and others which look much bigger. I still would have to catch them though. One is not hairy at all (from what I could see of it hiding underneath a rock) - so I haven't made any sort of identification of it.

Let me know!

10. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

PM me your details and I will contact you could help you catch them and give you a few zoas for them.

11. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Those anemones are good, they have a hard skeleton and are harmless, my urchin ate mine :(

Recent Posts