Please Help ID - Bacteria or Fungus?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ascheff, 20 Jul 2014.

1. ascheff

ascheff

I've got something on my rocks, that I please need help identifying?

The tank has been running for 4 weeks, and this stuff has been on the rocks from about the end of the first week. It started on one rock, but have now spread to almost every other rock.

I initially thought it's some type of bacteria. Today I used a turkey baster to blast some of it off the rocks. It comes off fairly easily, but I noticed that underneath it, only on the rock that it started on, are little black dots, that also detach when blasted. To me this looks like some kind of spore, so I'm starting to think it might actually be a fungus (or I just don't have a clue :whistling:). It sort of looks like a slimy white mould.

Does anyone recognise it? And is it normal to have it in a new tank? Do I leave it and wait for it to go away, or do I treat it with something like Seachem Sulfathiazole?

I don't have anything living in the aquarium yet (apart from hopefully some beneficial bacteria and a few small diatom spots), as my nitrite and nitrate is still quite high.

I didn't start with live rock, but instead used Caribsea Base Rock and dry Red Sea aragonite with the Red Sea Reef Mature Kit (Bacteria + Nopox). I have since finished the Mature Kit and have switched to Special Blend and Nite-Out, using the inoculation dosages. I'm also still using Nopox.

Please let me know if I need to provide any other info to help identify this stuff?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

I honestly have no idea, apologies :blush:

4. jimilutz

jimilutz

I don't know what bacteria that is. Dry rock will still contain some remanants of whatever life was on them previously and so I think your bacteria is probably just cleaning that up. I picked up dry rocks on the beach and have been maturing them for 8 months, there are still the occasional blooms of unknown stuff on them. The common advice is that it takes 6 months to cure dead rock.
    I would just wait it out, keep skimming and take it easy on additives.

5. Aurora

Aurora

I cleaned some of the exact same stuff off one of my rocks today.

Also have no idea what it was.

Didn't seem to harm any one.

6. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Is your tank new or established?

7. Nippy

Nippy

That looks like sponge to me, if you remove it in the tank it will release its spores and start some where else.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2014
  8. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Thanks. If it is sponge, do I just leave it alone? Will it have any negative effect like take up resources or prevent any beneficial process?

Recent Posts