Please Help. Beginner

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Sidney, 30 Oct 2012.

1. Sidney

Sidney

Hi All

I'm new to this hobby and did a lot of reading on the forum and found some great info.
    I do not have a tank yet and are burning to start.I would like to start a mix reef tank.
    The reason i haven bought anything yet is because i burnt my fingers ones with a marine tank about 5 years ago.
    It was a big mess the corals fish and anemones kept one dying.
    The only help that i got was from our local pet shop who did not seem to now much about marine life/tanks but sold all the stuff ,
    so I got rid of everything about 8 months later.

Can you guys please help me on where to start and what to get.
    Tank size must be around 150L to 350L.
    Budget. will work that out when I start.

Hope to hear back from you guys soon.

Thanks Sidney

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...:1: Here is some information that will help you to better understand the Hobby and some basic info to steer you in the right direction...hope you make use of these Links...
    Newbie INFO..
    Starting With Marines - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Starting a Marine tank - What to buy first - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Starting a Marine Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    New to Marines- Please listen!!!!!!!!!! - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Most Important..."THE CYCLE"...
    Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Livestock...
    Your First Marine Invertebrates - Choosing a Clean up crew - CUC - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Easy Soft Corals For Your Reef Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Your First Hard Corals: LPS Hard Corals - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Water Parameters
    Ideal Water Parameters - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    What to test for and why - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Hopefully the Livestock Links can help you decide on the type of fishy's you want to keep for you'r Tank volume...also the "type of fish" has to be considered...jumpers or not, thus...hooded tank or not... and then the best advise I would say is get the best Skimmer you can afford for you'r Tank...Lighting would also be something you would seriously have to look into...especially if you want SPS...LED's vs T5/MH(heat issue)..

Last edited: 30 Oct 2012
  4. Dillan

Dillan

5. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

Thanks. Nice to get so much info so fast..:thumbup:

Please dont stop.;)

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome!

there are a few points that one needs to ask before which will ultimately help you in your "reef strategy" that will make this hobby alot more enjoyable. there are no right or wrong answers, just facts on how you see yourself doing this
    what level of involvement do you want? technical or lite hands on?
    how much time do you have overall?

these will all play a part on which information is relevant, you can read every DIY thread but if thats not you, then buying the equipment is the better route. its not fun leaking salt water on to a floor and having to mop up, cost vs time vs skill, true we all grow in this hobby, i do daily, so in the beginning technology can be both friend or foe..

learn the nitrogen cycle and the "biology" behind a reef tank, that will help make decisions on how best to run a tank to YOUR tastes and not others, but best of all ask away

7. Ismails

Ismails

my advice...TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!

4 months into the hobby and I have 1 clown fish, 4 hermit crabs and 2 shrimp. Don't rush anything and enjoy watching your tank grow, also get advice here. If possible get the best hardware u can afford, it may be expensive but it will save you alot of stress and losses down the road...and this is a looooong road :)

8. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

Thank Guys

I do have a lot of time and I am a hands on guy.( technical )
    Dis time I want to go for the long run and do it right the first time.
    What is all the hardware that I need to start a marine tank.:wacky:

9. crispin

crispin

WELCOME TO Masa its great to have you join:)

time spend planning and researching before starting is always time well spend, the better you plan your system the easier it will be to maintain it. Taking into account the difficult start you had with marines before let us help you get going on the right path and then things are far easier to maintain:)

give us the tank diomensions you would like (or have space for) and perhaps theres already a second hand tank that will suit your needs. I had a very steep learning curve when I started and I found that visiting others and seeing their systems stood me in great stead later on. I can still recall the principles behind some great tanks I saw 5 or 6 years ago and still apply those in my reef keeping today.

once you have tank size and dimensions (these are realy important) post them on here and we can see what you need to change to make things easier and better for you:)

10. Dillan

Dillan

Sidney you said you were looking at 150lts - 300 why not start smaller like TL550 it has all the hardware and is plug and play add water rock and wait ......at 128lys its smaller but easy

11. Marine007

Marine007

:welcome7: Glad to have you on MASA.

Normally I would also recommend a Boyu 550, but since you seem DIY inclined and have time on your hands you might enjoy a tank with a sump more.

I have a 1m Aqua H20 tank (200l) with a cabinet and sump. You sometimes find neglected ones on Gumtree for under R2k. Or you can maybe scoop a nice setup on the forum.
    Then buy a good skimmer (in your budget), and start with second hand T5 lighting and build your own LED unit later once you know what you want with your tank.

If you buy a tank that has been empty for more than 3 months (after being used before that) I would suggest you redo the silicone.

Sounds like you are in for an adventure and are going to enjoy your Salty Adventure!

12. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

I now when I start i will only be happy with a small tank for a while and then want to go bigger.
    I want to buy ones and start right this time.:lol::lol::lol:

13. Ruberto Frazao

Ruberto Frazao Sponsor

Welcome to masa.. The answer to your question is patience and time...

14. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

HI yes
    This time I wand to go for all the right hardware so that I can enjoy the setup.
    Wand to take my time to do it properly.:thumbup:

15. Marine007

Marine007

I can relate very well. I'm busy set up "big" at the moment.
    However you need to define how big your "big" is.

You will probably need a quarantine tank as well (especially if you have a big tank) as you don't want to put your prized (and pricey) fish at risk. So a smaller tank can always become the quarantine tank and/or a frag tank if you really get into corals.

If you have the space and cash you can start big, but it costs time and money.

You could consider keeping your eye out for a 200-300l system, get your hands salty and teach yourself the ropes, then when you are ready (also financially) go big.

16. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

yes makes sense:thumbup:

17. crispin

crispin

i found an old thread of mine where I was going through a similar thought process to you...ie go big or small, have a sump or plug and play...etc etc. heres a sumary of my thoughts at the time which might be helpful for you.... http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=3791

18. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

Will do thanks.

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, Sydney! Great to have you on-board! Great advise you have already been given!

20. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:welcomewave: Have fun in here! Follow the peeps advice, read, research and then read some more, be patient!

21. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

HI All

Can you guys give me some info on what is the work of the different tipes of reactors and its main purpose.
    Sorry for all the questions.:lol::lol::lol:

Recent Posts