please help - additives

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Strandlooper, 14 Jun 2013.

1. Strandlooper

Strandlooper

Guys please help. After doing all the tests I discovered my calcium was low plus my PH. I added insta calcium & a buffer mixing separately making sure after several minutes everything had dissolved and the RO water I used to mix it in was clear then added to the sump. I have a RSM250 which has a grand total of 23l for the sump! Ok my problem Is every time I add these additives I end of with a white ' explosion' on my front glass exactly where the waster hits from the inlet pump. I will post a pic later if that helps.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JS

JS

Hi

What is your Mg sitting at? I find that if my Mg is low....my calcium additives percipitate - "white explosion"... :) To stop this, I always dose Mg before Ca.

4. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Its probably just the Kh buffer reacting with the water. Which is totally normal.Does the milkiness disappear quickly?

Or is it form white flakes? If this is the case you could have an ionic imbalance. You will need to test you Alk, Calcium and Mg and see which one is out

5. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

If it goes milky then clears up again almost immediately this is fine. It is only if it stays milky that there is a problem. The milkiness is caused by a localised high pH (from the buffer) precipitating the calcium from the water, but as soon as it mixes properly it redissolves.

To stop this happening add the buffer more slowly to the water in an area of high water movement.

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Due to the high concentration of the calcium it will precipitate. You want to add this slowly into the sump in a high flow area either by making a dripping mechanism or adding small volumes regularly.

Recent Posts