Please confirm Anemone ID

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Jaco Schoeman, 21 Apr 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Please can you ID this? From what I have researched, it is a colonial anemone. Interesting enough, these fall under zoanthid species!?!?!?! In other words, zoanthids are a type of anemone?

Look at the bottom left, below the yellow polyps...

[​IMG]

Here is another pic I found on Coralidea:
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know what these things need i.e feeding etc?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

It could be a colonnial anemone or majano. Leave it to see what happens and get ready to zap it if it's a majano

4. Apollo

Apollo

Jaco,

Zoanthids and anemones both belong to the class Cnidaria and are then further subdivided into subclass Anthozoa.
    From their they are distinguised into two orders - Zoanthidae ( zoanthids) and Actinaria ( sea anemones).

Incidentaly , mushrooms are also related since they also belong to the subclass - Anthozoa and order Corallimorpharia.

Your pics look like colonial anemones , but like Tony said you should leave them to grow and then determine your course of action.

Just a thought . ;)

5. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

I don't think it is a majano. The reason I say this is that the LFS sold these colonial anemones a few weeks ago, and this rock came from that same tank - so they recon it's just offspring from that?

Also, the centre part of it is green, and I don't think majano have this coloration???

Thanks Appolo. Interesting...

6. Apollo

Apollo

Jaco,

Majano anemones can take on various colour forms besides for the more common brown variant. There are various sources that depict them in variations of green , brown and even purple like colours.

I would however agree with you that these are probably not Majano, primarily due to the physical appearance in terms of colouration and also the shape of the tentacles ( Majano tend to have thickened more bulbous like tentacle tips)

7. Jaco Schoeman

Thank you again Apollo. You mentioned I need it to grow, and then see what it does... What do I need to look out for. Cause I know that Majano multiply, but if this is a colonial anemone, it too will multiply.

Another question - feeding? Should I feed it and what?

8. Apollo

Apollo

Jaco,

If it is a Majano , you should already be able to see the physical apperance of the tentacles which should be more bulb like at the tip of the tentacles.
    IMO , I would not look towards Majano as a possible ID.

Colonial anemones will also mutliply , however IMO I don't believe that this would be huge reason for concern. Again , perhaps there is a more experienced reefer that will be able to shed some more light on this issue.

Insofar feeding is concerned : IMO I would not specifically look at target feeding the anemones. They should be able to draw enough nutrients from the water column alone.

Here is a picture database link showcasing a fairly wide variety of Anemones.
    Perhaps you will be able to find a more suitable ID for your anemone on this site.

http://www.starfish.ch/c-invertebrates/anemones.html

Just a thought :p

9. Jaco Schoeman

THANKS!!!!:peroni:

Recent Posts