Please check here for me to see if I'm getting this right guys?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by RFSwanepoel, 25 Jan 2012.

1. RFSwanepoel

RFSwanepoel

OK so I have been busy for 2 days trying to figure out what I need to start with and I came up with this.

List of things I might need:

-An Aquarium and a Stand (I'm aiming for a 150L to 200L Deep tank).
    -Aragonite Substrate (Live Sand + small sand + rough sand).
    -Dry Rock and/or Live Rock.
    -RO/DI Unit (Reverse Osmosis filter).
    -Salt Mix (Stuff you buy in buckets).
    -Heater or 4.
    -Thermometer.
    -Hydrometer (For water density).
    -Power heads (Water Pumps + Wave Makers, for random water flow).
    -Test Kits (for Salt-water use) Like 10 of these things. Ammonia, Nitrate, Calcium etc...
    -Salt water Mixing Buckets (Brand new and only used for salt water)
    -Reef Grade Lights (OOOOO Well this is a whole subject on it's own, complicated)
    -Sump + accessories (Bio-filtration tank)
    -Return Pump
    -Overflow in tank
    -PVC Piping (plumbing)
    -Protein Skimmer ( Not sure if I need this but it would seem I do).
    -Time, Money, Patience and a love for the aquatics.

Is this about right?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Seems about right, you should have a skimmer, i would fly the amonia and nitrite test kit and get those readings tested at the LFS. Reef grade lights depends on what you want to keep but on that size system good quality T5's would suit all your needs. Instead of a hydrometer rather look at a refractometer, much more accurate. the only other expensive item i would look at down the line is a chiller. Personally i am becoming a dry rock fan - no aptasia, no crabs or any other unwanted critters that cause hugh frustration down the line.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2012
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello there, and welcome.

Hydrometer, rather drop it for refracto.

If strapped for start up finance, being a relatively small setup (150 to 200L) you could skip the RO unit and saltwater mixing. Do that later. You can buy the water (salt and RO) from the LFS for first couple of months.

One heater. Buy a Jaeger unit. A lot more expensive but worthwhile.

Powerheads, can startup with SunSun units. Later you can upgrade the pumps.

But first question, what do you plan as your setup? A fish only system, softy or SPS system. It will impact the equipment you use. From the powerheads, lightning and even in part the filtration.

Did you visit the PTA sponsors. Pet Stop or Dorry Pets.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

There are some reef meetings coming up at the end of February, come around, you might learn something.

6. Nism0

Nism0

Hi there,

From one newbie to another, skip the RO unit. Its going to set you back about 2K and thats without installation. Factor in the fact that making 1 litre of RO water creates 3 to 5litres of "waste water" and you soon realize that paying R1.20 to R1.50 per litre of RO from your LFS is actually not that bad with a small tank. Rather spenf that 2K on getting a better skimmer or lights or even a nice set of Hanna digital water testers.

Just my 2c. Good luck!!

7. AndrévN

AndrévN

Hahaha so true, had mine dry out over 4months while planning my new setup lol. Just have to get some doner coralline and reseed now.

8. RFSwanepoel

RFSwanepoel Thread Starter

Thanx for all the info Guys I was also thinking about rather buying the water ready made so thanx for confirming that.

Also didn't even know about the refractometer, will check that out.

@ RiaanP, So far I want to go for a mixed reef with some clowns and at least one anemone for the clowns. But I'll plan this over a year or something coz I have seen the issues that come with Live rocks so I want to just set up a proper reef at first before getting any live stock. (does anyone know what kind of anemone goes with clowns, but not one that would eat all the other little guys in the tank?) Also not like at the CPT V&A Aquarium, where they seem to think a pice of glass is their anemone, I thought that was really sad. No I have not been to them I did check online at Dorry's Pets though.

At this point I'm still deciding if I should go Marine or not, I probably will though. Love the hobby and fresh water got really boring after 10years.

Thanx for all the tips guys, wish I had this forum for my fresh water 10yrs ago.

9. Nism0

Nism0

10. RFSwanepoel

Thanx for the link NismO It was very useful indeed, They have a really cool short list on the site.

11. Nism0

Nism0

Yeah, that site has a bunch of good info for anyone new to hobby. Its not at all like fresh water. But watching a cleaner shrimp cleaning a willing dwarf angel in the comfort of your own home makes it worth the effort.

12. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

justone question, if you are buying ready mixed water from a trusted lfs why would you need a refractometer at all ?

Nismo, for 2k you can get a big unit from the water boy, and what installation? Just connect a house pipe with one of those quick couple fittings and you are making RO, easy.

13. Nism0

Nism0

To make ASW with the waterboy i got. :thumbup:
    Installation is optional I guess. I like things to be neat and tidy. What do you do with the waste water? Irrigation?

Note: Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2012
  14. RFSwanepoel

I also have issues with the waist water problem. Can't you recycle it in some way? I have a pond in the garden 2 but I'm not sure if the wast water can be pumped into the pond ?

Lucky for me I don't have to pay for water at all, my water comes from underground rivers, so for me to get the RO filter won't be a huge budget problem other than the wastage.

15. erratiC

erratiC

The "waste water" is drinkable... so instead of filling those bottles from the tap - fill them from your RO machine.

It could also be used to water plants, etc.

16. maj

maj

u wanting to hook the RO unit upto the borehole water?

17. RFSwanepoel

Still contemplating if I need to get one or just buy water.

Recent Posts