PLEASE answer these questions regarding a nano and a sump

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Matt, 26 Feb 2008.

1. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Nano in question: 24G JBJ Nano Cube. Currently stocked with 1 midas blenny, and 2 clowns. +-14kg LR. So tank is around 90L.

If I were to add a sump...

1.) What would it cost (ballpark figure) to setup a sump for this nano, how many L would I want it to be?

2.) How would I have to modify the plumbing to get a sump to work (I currently have an Atlas 1200 that pumps water from the rear chamber, down to my chiller, and back into my tank, could I use this pump?

3.) If I increase my water volume (total volume) can I keep more fish in my display tank??

4.) What should I look to pay for a skimmer? Is it feasible to run a skimmer as the tank is in my bedroom.

Please answer my questions as 1.) 2.) etc etc

Many thanks! ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Matt

Matt Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Also, if the sump & skimmer is too loud for a bedroom, is it feasible to only run the skimmer during the day (when i'm out) ??

4. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Replies in bold below:

5. Rory

Another possible way to add a sump to a tank that isn't already drilled with an overflow is to add the sump above the tank somewhere, ie. you pump up to the sump and then the sump has an overflow that goes to the tank.

6. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

4. You would probably look at something like a Reeftek TS1 (I have one and can really recommend it). They are in-sump though. Mine makes almost no noise save for the water falling back into the sump but that can easily be fixed with the sponges that comes with it.

You will look at payning R1,000 - R1,200 for it.

7. Matt

So I cant just place a pump in the sump that will suck water to and from the main tank?

8. Rory

Nope, that won't work... 1 pump can't take water to the sump and return it. It's basically impossible to "balance" 2 pumps to do it at the same rate. Hence you have to have an overflow type design...

Note: The only exception I can think of is if you have a sump with the top at the same level as your tank, ie. your sump is next to your tank. Then you can have a pump going one way and a siphon going the other way...

9. DragonReef

DragonReef

Nope Matt, you would never be able to get the pumps to flow at the same rate and you gaureenteed to flood the tank or sump.

10. DragonReef

DragonReef

Rory too quick :p

11. Roadblock

Roadblock

Instead of a sump why not use a canester filter.

12. Matt

Roadblock: reason for the sump would also to be to add some L to the total tank volume

13. lIghty

lIghty

Matt, let try this 1, 2, 3....

1. You should try go as big as possible, the more water in the system the better, I built a complex 100l sump and it cost me about R550 I think, so work on about R400 if you DIY.

2. You would not be able to use the chiller system to supply the sump, you would have to drill your tank for a overflow or get a hang-on over flow (think reef octopus makes one that's about +-R800)

3. Yes & No, Like Rory stated, fish need space to move, by adding a sump, it increases the overall volume of water in the system, creating a more "stable" system. Things generally happen slower in bigger tanks. But having said that, you may be able to add 1 or 2 small fish to the tank as long as there is enough space!

4. Noise could be a problem, running a skimmer 24hrs a day is best. Like Rory said, boxing it up will help, but you'll get used to it.

IMO, Maybe it's time to get a bigger system, you don't want to over capitalize as you will never get your money back, rather decide what you want and aim for it. Most of us have been down this road, me included, going from a 150l to 550l......

remember its best to ask before doing something. Best of luck.

Recent Posts