please advise on flow in boyu tl550

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by NADEEM, 14 Aug 2012.

1. NADEEM

NADEEM

Hello everyone, I have a boyu tl550 with about 15kg of live rock in it. Only have some zoas,
    A frag of xenia and green star polyps. I would like only to keep lps in this tank,would eventually love to have candy cane, torch coral etc.
    I currently have 2 x 3000l/h sun sun pumps on either side pointing toward each other,read somewhere that this causes some random flow. Anyways these pumps are rubbish,I don't like the flow it creates and also the suction cups keep coming loose.

I can not afford a vortech mp10 rite now so what would you guys reckon I could use in my tank, I would like to achieve what I've seen in some tanks-the smooth back and forth movement of coral.

Thank you guys
    N

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quintonv

Quintonv

I would think that is enough flow. You can replace the suction cups with magnetic holders. Your local lfs shouldmbe able to sort you out. It costs about R100 each

4. mornewil

mornewil Morne

i had a wm1 and 2 seio props in mine before i bought mp10. gave me great looking flow. check out my thread. didnt look so busy also. Post a pic of your scape

5. Ayoob

Ayoob

I think a Boyu 2xWm1 will sort it for now. Morne don't you still have them for sale?

6. Mac75

Mac75

I got a sunsun 3000l/h and a seio prop 530 which i removed after getting a mp10. If you are interested pm me......also have a new condition hood with the original light fitting thats in excellent condition.....i modified the back of it to accommodate my bh2000 though but if u take a look at it you will think its factory made lol ;)

7. The Newbie

The Newbie

Hi,What is cost of hood and is it for the boyu tl550:thumbup:

8. Mc

Mc

The flow rate of those two pumps seems about right.
    If you want something controllable that a bit cheaper, maybe look into the boyu wm's or the hydor koralias.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2012
  9. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I would keep those pumps,they will be fine for now. Rather save up for a vortec pump,they small,controllable and amazing. The tunze pumps are also very good pumps. Upgrade once,not many times.A pump on each side will give you nice random flow,just make sure your scaping is nice and open.that will minimise your detritus build up. I've got two tunzes in my 550,one in the top left corner and one in the bottom right corner.this way I'm getting nice random flow,and the bottom powerhead not blowing detritus away from the owerflow where if you have a powerhead right below you overflow,I think you will get less detritus going ober the overflow where you can trap it.

Recent Posts