Please advise on aquascaping using PVC piping

Reaction score
I'vev just upgraded my tank and i'm going to redo the aquascaping. I've seen on a few other sites that instead of building egg crate shelves you can also just use PVC piping and drill holes through the rocks for the pipe to fit through, that way you can build nice tall structures without worrying about rockfalls.

e.g.)
I%20have%20water.jpg

sand%20in.jpg

* images from cjs473's tank on ultimatereef.net

How exactly does he support the piping at the bottom? Where would one get said PVC piping? ;)

Reaction score
Awesome i'm going to do it! Where would I get such pvc? Mica hardware? builders warehouse?

Reaction score
Ok run into a problem, my LR already has coral etc on it, so can't exactly take it all to a drilling machine to get drilled.

My dad suggested maybe 8mm stainless steel rods? would stainless steel rust or cause issues in my tank? I would be able to get the rods for free and use a hand drill to drill the rocks (so won't be a problem with the coral on the rock cos I could do it from home.

What does everyone think of this idea?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
No - don't use s/steel rods. Even stainless steel rusts after a while. Believe me. I SCUBA dive, and you should see my dive knife (supposedly very high grade S/Steel).
No - you can try and use tie-straps/tie-wraps (hope you know what I am talking about here) to tie the rocks together with corals on. Use the PVC piping - perhaps get 25mm or even 15mm conduit piping from e.g. Builder's Warehouse - for the rest of the live rocks.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Just be careful. Electrical conduit is not nearly as strong as the PVC used for irrigation. Just a heads up.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Matt, Where in Jhb are you? I buy PVC pipe from one of three places depending on where I find myself.

AStore in Edenvale. They are the cheapest.
FAB in Randburg on Oxford Rd.
Water Plant in Roodepoort on Ontdekkers Rd. They are the most expensive.

Reaction score
Even stainless steel rusts after a while. Believe me. I SCUBA dive, and you should see my dive knife (supposedly very high grade S/Steel).

I agreeeeee....:nono:

Reaction score
You can also use fibreglass rods,similar to those used in kites. Very small which makes them undetectable, flexible so you can bend to make pieces meet, and incredibly strong. I found mine in a hobby shop. 2mm Add a little super glue in each hole and Bobs your uncle.
Looking forward to updates