PlayStation

RiaanP

Reaction score
I got introduced into this hobby 6 months ago. Due to circumstances my brothers tank ended up in my Lapa. Between my Braai and Bar. And now I'm hooked. Anyway his tank got sold end of December. Luckily I started my Playstation in November. And were able to move my stuff over before his tank moved out.
The PlayStation is a normal 90cm tank as DT and a 60cm for a sump. Giving about 140 - 150 liters. Do that still qualify as a Nano? This setup is temporary, as somewhere, hopefully April I want to set up a Cube design.
Everything is DIY as it is temporary.
Tank is on a shelf next to my Braai. Little bit behind the pole and that makes some stuff a bit hard to reach.

1094496508f335c77.jpg

Tank Front view.
1094496509534e6e5.jpg

The lights, one dual actinic combo, 2 * t8 24W and 2 * 20W CFL. Next ting to do is to uggrade this
1094496509af2d268.jpg

Overflow box - don not laugh - it works beautifully with no hickups. There is even a Durso silenser in there! Do you see the green valve?

109449650a74dd6cd.jpg

Some softies on the top
10944965097e5e029.jpg

Classic, love the overflow!! Looks good for a temp setup. I think it's just over the nano mark, i could be wrong?

The sump left side. I got a smaller tank inside to do as the pump return chamber.

109449650b7331b2a.jpg

Sump on the right. DSB 20cm deep. Overflow pipe - creepy crawly pipe - runs into a milk plastic bottle.

109449650baf5e9d0.jpg

And the electrical stuff

109449650bc4d9849.jpg

How that for a PlayStation?

Not bad. How long i running now? My tank is about a year old and I don't have as many corals yet!! Love the DIY, I think you get the most joy and sense of achievement that way. Good luck and remember to start planning the next bigger one.

The sump is running from Beginning October. I prepared sand for this sump and for a DSB for the tank that got sold. The big tank was sold and moved on 27 Dec.
The DT tank cycled with some LR and the substrate from middle November. The subtrate came from the other tank and I seeded it by using water from a water change from the other tank. I syphoned its substrate and dumped all that junk green jucky stuff just like that into this small tank. Although there was no livestock I had many copepods and bristle worms. I had to feed them extra. Interesting, I could not get this tank to cycle.
The LR in there now was moved from the other tank in the week before it was sold . Plus my livestock I bought in the last few months.
So the sump is about 2.5 months. The DT 1.5 months and the livestock and rocks about 3 weeks. Now I have some brown diatom algae on the back glass, and this morning I noticed my first little piece of green algae. Yeaahh the hermits got something to eat.:thumbup:

Very cool temporary setup. Does the temp not go up if you braai? I take it you're probably not braaing there :p

...just don't drop marinade in the sump :whistling:

Awesome and QUITE interesting Riaan!
Keep it up mate! looking quite good so far.

BTW: if you say "temporary" - do you mean you have another tank in mind to be your "permanent" tank then?

jacquesb the man has got some very good idea's had quite a chat with him yesterday.

Riaan was great to meet you and listen to your plans for the new set-up, like I said please let me know if you need any help...

Will PM you the no for the reflectors soon..

oh goodie I see I am going up the food chain ladder now. no longer a hermit crab but now a shrimp:lol:

Riaan looking good there bud

Yes Jacques, I'm in the planning stages for a 800 cube. Still need to re plan the RO and salt reservoirs in my sump. That way the temp for the saltwater used in a water change should be OK. Other stuff like the auto top up etc I will build and install it on my PlayStation to be moved over to cube one day. Might keep PlayStation as a quarantine setup.

Very nice for a temp setup! nice idea of the small tank in te sump.

Yes Tobes, I still braai there.
The braai have insulation between the steel and the bricks, Pink aerolight. Must have a serious braai going to heat up the brickwork.

all braais in SA are serious lol

awesome setup & location dude!!! i'd love to braai @ your place! :peroni:

ps. aren't you scared the heat from the braai might cause the glass to crack?

:thumbup:

No Punk, heat of the fire goes up and forward to you. Worst case is I cook my stomach
And braai is insulated with pink aerolight and inside single brick surround. I'm more scared the braai will burn the thatch roof...

Yes Keyaam. I'm busy designing a 800mm cube I got the tank basics OK, and the stand. Just playing with sump layout and closed loops * 2. I will post it before actually building it for comments, good or bad and any suggestions.

Update on my PlayStation. I got Cheato from Neil H last night. View attachment 83301

Yes Keyaam. I'm busy designing a 800mm cube I got the tank basics OK, and the stand. Just playing with sump layout and closed loops * 2. I will post it before actually building it for comments, good or bad and any suggestions.

Update on my PlayStation. I got Cheato from Neil H last night. View attachment 83394

Nice. Im still struggling to setup my 800 cube. I got everything but just need to get started

riaan where did u source glass from?

Back
Top Bottom