Playsand VS Aragonite

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mandarin, 22 Apr 2010.

1. mandarin

mandarin

I want to remove all the playsand in my DT and replace it with aragonite because i just have this feeling that the playsand is the cause of all the algea problems i have since i started my new tank. I've spend to much on additives, water changes and what else to control this outbreak. The tank is running now for 15 weeks. The DSB also got playsand in ( 180mm ) but would rather leave it as it is. I've replaced all the filters and membrane on my RO unit so the TDS is correct. Please help.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

what algae is it? The only algae that play sand MAY contribute to is cyano
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mandarin

mandarin Thread Starter

Cyano for sure, red slime all over and some green as well. Sand looks terrible.

5. Sentari

Sentari

Try chuck an airstone in the tank for a couple of days. Sometimes this helps.

6. mandarin

mandarin Thread Starter

Have one airstone in the sump for 8weeks now, no improvement at all. Previous weekend i fitted a ATS above the DSB and i've got a milkfilter on the other return pipe.

7. xtreme

xtreme

had the same problem, 700L is no fun.
    fitted a pump in the sump that sucks air, so enough air going in but still.
    used another pump and blow the cayno off every stone and glass panel.
    Fitted a 30 w t8 tube for low light for fish (FO system) running that light from 7-21 hundred ours
    feeding once a day
    and yes, cayno is almost gone after 2 weeks, I keep on blowing the rocks clean(not LR)
    I was at that point to remove everything in the tank and redo it, but I waited it out.
    Hope some of this helped ( I had a lot of cayno, and I mean a lot)

8. Francois

Francois

Hey Mandarin

I had the same problem when I replaced my sand with reggies play sand.What I did when there was red slime on the sand bed, every time when I did a water change I siphon the cyano out, you must do this every time when you do a water change or when you see some red slime even if you take some sand out,it will fall on your routine maintenance plan when cleaning the tank.

What I notice as well is your flow over your sand bed in your DT, the cyano grows where there is not allot of flow passing over the sand. So if you get your flow right and siphon the cyano out when you do water change and wait for your tank to mature more you'll see a difference. The algea scrubber is also a great idea to battle the algea problem you just going to have to wait for the scrubber to mature as well. Do you run phos media? If you do it will help with the algea problem to and take out the phosphates and silicates.

Regards.

9. vatso

vatso

How does sand cause bacteria?

Is it not over feeding or that there is some die off in the tank & or your Live Rock is leaking phos?

I would suggest vodka dosing & turning the lights off for a few days

There is a great amount of info regarding vodka dosing & if you take it slow it's safe

10. Dane

Dane

Hey mandarin,

what makes you think switching to aragonite will make any difference... I dont see how it could influence things at all?

11. mandarin

mandarin Thread Starter

I've spoken to the experts at Idol Marine about this problem i have and they suggested that i should change to aragonite. I might as well give it a go.

12. Dane

Dane

I think that will be an expensive thing to do that will show little results.. But I have no real experience in these matters. I've done considerable reading on DSBs and everyone of them suggested simple playsand or even better, beachsand as a substrate. Rather spend the money on something that will show results...

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I have repeated this many times. Cyano is an indication of available Amonia. Your DSB/ open LR filter is lacking DO.

Point all your circulation pumps to the surface of the water so that the top of your tank looks like a bubbling bath. This will improve CO2 Oxygen exchange. Your DO will improve and then the available Ammonia will be released and the aerobic bacteria will also convert DOC quicker through the ammonia/nitrite stage.

14. magman

magman

I think you stand to lose more than you will gain if you change. If the sand is still new then maybe go for it.

In my opionion, cynao is more a cycle from changes, ie big water changes, lightining changes etc, basically shocks to the system. I found time will sort the cynao, also I believe vodka is the best cure for cynao.

Just my opionion

15. FransSny

FransSny

Agreed with magman & NJ.

You need to look at you Ammonia issues & changing things over now is probably going to do more harm than good.

Also that DSB is too deep aim for no more than 15 cm...you are creating a "dead spot" deep down which could lead to sulpher build up etc

16. mandarin

mandarin Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, NJ i'll move the power heads like you've explained and leave the playsand as it is and see what happens.

17. Dane

Dane

If you have an airstone in your sump than surely DO shouldnt be the problem? Not that you will increase it overmuch by breaking more surface tension. Keep in mind this will increase evap. Do you have the airstone on a section with good throughflow or is it a bit of a dead spot?

You should probably focus on what could be causing nutrient buildup... Try decreasing your feedings, increasing water changes or adding some more macro in the sump? Macro is great against cyano as it preferentially takes up ammonia, nitrites and then nitrates in that order...

On a side note NJ, why do you have a picture of a naked mole rat as your avatar? very interesting creatures... we have a study colony here at uct

18. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

i dont think vodka dosing is the answer. Dosing too much carbon can/will result in more cyano. Rather find out what is causing the cyano and fix that.

19. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

Hey dude the only algea people say playsand causes is diatoms, because its silica sand, never heard of it causing cyano, load of other things cause cyano, but not silicates, also it has not been proven anyway that silica sand actually leaches silica into the water.

20. FransSny

FransSny

Pistolshrimp, I think you might have been misinformed a bit. Ponder this...glass is made from silica sand

21. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

Yep i know, thats why i dont agree with the theory it leaches silicate, my dsb consists of silica sand and i have no prob, i was just trying to say that iv never heard of playsand causing cyano, has nothing to with the factors that influence cyano outbreak

Recent Posts