Play sand

Reaction score
Bought this sand today to use in the display and DSB. Anyone used this brand before. Should it be ok?

28122007958.jpg

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Yip, I'm using it for a substrate and also for DSB, grain size is awesome.

It needs a lot of washing though, it will turn white when it's clean.

Reaction score
A lot of guys got their sand from Toys 'R Us and it seems fine. Not sure if it was the exact same brand tho.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Nah, hosepipe is good, I have some pics somewhere of how I washed mine, will have a look for them.

What I did was put about a quarter of the bag in a clean bucket (best to use a new one to make sure there are no household cleaners in it), then thoroughly rinsed it until all the muck had disappeared and I was left with clear water and pure white sand. Let me look for those photo's to show you what I mean.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Here you go...

Reggies playsand
IMG_0271-1.jpg

Initial rinse, lots of foam and brown dirty water
IMG_0312.jpg

A couple of rinses later and the water is clear, you can see the nice white sand
IMG_0314.jpg

Water removed from bucket
IMG_0315.jpg

Nice white sand
IMG_0316.jpg

It will take a good couple of rinses to clean the sand, I used the hosepipe to stir up the sand and swish it all around, do that 4 or 5 times.

Reaction score
Any idea what type of sand it is ??

Can one of you guys put a small amount into a container and add some vinegar, or better still, some battery acid. leave it for a few hours (overnight...) and check if it makes small bubbles and/or dissolves. If it does, it's calcium based, and this will be a "great find" for us here in South Africa. If not, it would still be perfectly OK as long as it is smooth (rounded) and the grading is correct.

Thanks,
Hennie

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Any idea what type of sand it is ??

Can one of you guys put a small amount into a container and add some vinegar, or better still, some battery acid. leave it for a few hours (overnight...) and check if it makes small bubbles and/or dissolves. If it does, it's calcium based, and this will be a "great find" for us here in South Africa. If not, it would still be perfectly OK as long as it is smooth (rounded) and the grading is correct.

Thanks,
Hennie
I have some battery acid at my workshop, will pop in and get some this weekend and do a test Hennie. What sort of quantity should I use? Half a cup of sand and then fill up with acid?

Reaction score
hey, this will be a bit off topic, but is it true that playsand leaks silica in the water andthen start a red algae bloom? (is it true or only a myth)

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I haven't experienced any algae blooms of any kind. I have 60kg's of it as my substrate.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
My memory of time is terrible, probably 2 months I think.