Plate coral

Reaction score
Got this beaut over the weekend. I've read they need to be placed on the substrate but I'm concerned it wont get enough light(T5) down there. Is this an issue where I've placed it. Also how much damage can my clowns do to it?
DSC00235.jpg

Reaction score
dude i got like the same one as you on monday! put it on the subtrate, low flow, high light

Reaction score
Normal advice is to keep them on substrate. What wattage your T5's and what is your water depth?

Calfo also says in his books to keep on substrate yet all the photos in that book that is taken of them is on rocks or coral pieces.

Reaction score
3 24w T5's. 15k giessemann, 11k and 20k aqua medic. Getting 2 or 3 more soon. Substrate depth is about 600mm

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Gaboon - these corals (Heliofungia) NEED to be be fed regularly. They are also collected from marine estuaries and saltwater lagoons, where they roam on the sand-bed.

I don't know why people place them on rocks, because that is not their natural habitat. Rocks tend to "tear" their soft-tissues.

The heliofungia seems to adapt quite well to different lighting. AS LONG AS IT IS FED! Feed it at least once or twice a week.....

YES - it could be possible that your amphipron clowns could harass the coral. Ask Warr - his clowns tried to host in the heliofungia....

Reaction score
Hi Gaboon - these corals (Heliofungia) NEED to be be fed regularly. They are also collected from marine estuaries and saltwater lagoons, where they roam on the sand-bed.

I don't know why people place them on rocks, because that is not their natural habitat. Rocks tend to "tear" their soft-tissues.

The heliofungia seems to adapt quite well to different lighting. AS LONG AS IT IS FED! Feed it at least once or twice a week.....

YES - it could be possible that your amphipron clowns could harass the coral. Ask Warr - his clowns tried to host in the heliofungia....
Thanks man, gonna start feeding asap. Good to know they adapt to the lighting. The percs are already getting comfy. My concern is when the heliofungia is deflated at night, can the clowns do damage to the soft tissue when they rub against it?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I would imagine that when the fungia deflates it would lose it's appeal to the clowns, have you seen them harrass it when it is deflated?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, dont have the lighting for a nem. Would love one though
To really care for a nem they need a good sized matured tank, preferably with closed loop rather than powerheads - they don't look good minced:whistling:

My clowns used to host a patch of green star polyp:lol:

Reaction score
To really care for a nem they need a good sized matured tank, preferably with closed loop rather than powerheads - they don't look good minced:whistling:

Definitely have to avoid a nem then. Should have used the same caution before buying the torch.

Reaction score

You making me nervous about my nennie! but for now he is happily sitting tight in a cave of his own chooseing and fulling:) clown is happy as a pig.

i really think i should have thought twice about that nennie though, but it really is the centre of attention in the tank....although the bristle toof tang is pretty too:) oh and the bristle worms, got to love them:)

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the clowns harrassing it?
They will kill the heliofungia. My maroon clown rubbed the poor coral to death. I removed the coral from the display tank for a couple of weeks and soon as I put it back in the tank the clowns returned.

Adding a nemmie did not help.

Since the demise of my heliofungia the maroon has moved on to my hammer coral, maybe he has a LPS fetish.

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Sorry only read your thread now, I got one on Saturday.
He is on my substrate andlokking healthy hope your one are doing well.

Reaction score
They will kill the heliofungia. My maroon clown rubbed the poor coral to death. I removed the coral from the display tank for a couple of weeks and soon as I put it back in the tank the clowns returned.

Adding a nemmie did not help.

Since the demise of my heliofungia the maroon has moved on to my hammer coral, maybe he has a LPS fetish.
Didn't want to hear that. Must stop buying corals those clowns love.