Urgent help needed Plate coral dyeing off rapidly

Reaction score
Hi All

Please see pic, my plate coral has been happy for 6 months now, in the past few days it started dyeing off, now there is a funny pinky slim on the top of it.

What can this be and what can I do with it, or is it to late?:eek:

rsz_img-20140310-00229.jpg

Looks like brown jelly disease. I am sure that coral is part of the lps family.

What I would do (had to do it a lot before)

Switch off all the flow pumps.
Siphon off the jelly
Have a 2l icream tub ready, put the coral in and gently blow off any remaining jelly
I then dip it in a lugol solution, 10drops per liter in a clean container
Then I rinse it in a clean container again before putting it back in the tank.

I had to do this 5 consequative in before. Luckly my hammer survived it

it looks like cyano on the coral skeleton.
anything changed in the tank? temp, alk or param swings?
moved the coral?

"clean" the coral by blowing off the stuff in a separate container, then soak using a coral dip.
Place coral in a low flow, medium light area to recover keeping an eye on it. keep us posted

It doesn't look like Brown Jelly. It is. Dip as mentioned, frag off living tissue and pray?

Then pray some more for the rest of your LPS corals....

Weird desease this one.... Doesn't occur in the wild!!

Thank you everyone for all the help will get a dip and move the coral this evening.

@Francois Salinity has change a bit, was told my salinity is to high, so I dropped it slowly over a space of a week. from 1.027 to 1.025, could this be the cause????

Nope I don't think so, if you did that drop slowly over a few days then that cant be the cause. What are your tanks param? I would follow dallasg advice.

Hi All

No one had lugols iodine in, but Clicks pharm had there brand on Iodine?? will this work?

Just update on the coral, its out the tank at the moment, in a bucket, I cleaned all the brown Jelly off and its now in clean water.

Sad thing is, I had to break the infected skeleton off, and its now only the size of a R5 coin. :(

Will the affect my other coral, how can I prevent it happening again? and will it get hold of my pride and joy (inferno anemone)

Again....
Originally Posted by irie ivan pray some more for the rest of your LPS corals....
Things like keeping parameters rock solid, within accepted range, is your only hope. Any drastic actions will most likely stress your inhabitants resulting in a spread to your other corals.

The data is still very scarce, what we do know is that we are dealing with a ciliate (Philaster digitformis) which is only found in abundance in deseased specimens and interestingly absent in healthy corals......
Although.... vibrio and pseudovibrio species cannot be ruled out.

Whether we are dealing with opportunistic bacterial species like vibrio being the primary invader / attacker, weakening the stat of the host, resulting in a secondary invasion / proliferation of ciliates (shown to ingest tissue), causing an explosive growth which we witness as jelly.... Or, whether we are dealing with the coral tissue ingesting ciliates being the primary attacker / culprit is really difficult to prove.

However, what is paramount is that although similarities in symptoms do exist between this disease and other coral diseases, is that Brown Jelly is not prevalent in nature..... Which again, like in the case of STN, RTN, etc. the most likely actual cause is environmental conditions found in our aquariums....

Simply put, stressors such as lighting, flow and arameter dynamics which the coral is not accustomed to.
Just becaue a coral looks healthy for a year in your tank, does not meen it is healthy and happy..... How long do we humans walk around carrying the Human immune Deficience virus before we start showing symptoms..... Usually when its too late I think....

Last edited:
this Is s chalice coral a friend of mine has the same one.. and it does look like brown jelly disease. . what you need to do is make sure you blow off all the dead and dying tissue regularly so that the healthy flesh doez one get infected. . I would suggest doing this is a separate dish with some sort of anti bacterial solution.. being iodine

Back
Top Bottom