Plasma or LCD?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Keanan, 27 Oct 2011.

1. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Hi all

I would like some input on what to get, plasma or LCD? And what make is better?

I bought a Samsung 5 series(550) 40'' LCD but when I set it up it was not working, had power but no pic or anything. Returned it and got a refund so long because game dont have anymore stock.

I was told that if they cant find another one I could get a replacement for the same price. Was recommended to go plasma especially for gaming and sports and also bigger at 43'':thumbup: but last I check plasma wasnt so good. The salesman showed me the Samsung 4 series plasma and a LG plasma, cant remember the models but both looked nice and features were similar.

What would be the better buy, plasma or LCD? The Samsung or LG or Sony? Why?

Thanks

Last edited: 27 Oct 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

From what I have seen on display in the shops, anything bigger than 32" and you have to get Plasma, I noticed considerable differences between a 42" LCD and 42" Plasma, quite noticeable were animated movies, the edges of the characters were quite jagged on the LCD whereas the Plasma they were much much much smoother. Also I think most Plasma's are 600hz whereas LCD's are mostly 50 or 100hz.

4. lIghty

lIghty

Dean is spot on!

I've got a 50" series 4 Samsung and love it! When I was looking, I also looked at the LG 50", and almost took it as it had an extra HDMI port or something. The picture quality was good, but after allot of walking between the two units at the shop, the sale gent offered to move the LG and place it next to the Samsung, THAT was when we notice the difference, once place next to each other you could clearly see the difference, the Samsungs colours and clarity were way better than the LG, and yes, we did try adjusting ALL the setting! even the sale guy was taken back a bit!

The only thing you have to worry about on a plasma is a static image, which could burn, but Samsung has a feature that called pixel shift, and it basically moves the image on the screen by a set (normally 4) pixels, this is not noticeable to the eye though.

Incase you are thinking LED TV, LED TV still use LCD panels, its just the backlighting that is LED.

5. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Plasma is much better for stuff with "motion" in, the most obvious being sport. It's also better for sd tv, 720p HD, dvd's, etc because less upscaling needs to be done on the 720p sets. Generally cheaper when you go big as well. Above 50" some are full hd though (1080p).
    Plasmas also have a much better contrast ratio so black blacks and white whites etc.
    Since a few years ago they have basically sorted out the issues with plasmas. The lifespan of a plasma these days is basically the same as an LCD at about a million hours (should last you a while).
    They are much less prone to image retention (a static image staying on the screen for a few seconds after you switch to something else) and burn in (when it's literally burnt like that forever) than old plasmas. You shouldn't display a static image on the screen for extended periods of time as you would when using a pc, where you may have the start bar etc on all the time.
    The other place where as plasma isn't great is in a bright room or with lots of reflections as they have a layer of glass on them. The higher end ones have an anti reflective coating on though.

The D series samsung plasma 43" is a great buy. I have the older C 42". Blows my sony LCD with x-reality (replacement for bravia) out of the water in terms of picture quality. (and it was cheaper, and it's bigger (40 vs 42)). The sony does have a lot of extra features like facebook, youtube etc but since I run an XBMC server right next to it, all it has to do is display stuff.

Sony only make LCDs not plasmas. LG and Samsung make both. All are pretty similar so it comes down to personal preference (ie. whatever the wife likes the look of). Sony's have a few extra features like bravia sync where if you have a ps3 and a sony home theatre and you turn on the ps3 the amp and the tv will also turn on.

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

mmmm .... De ja vu .... Been there ..... Bud let me tell you .... NOTHING compares to Sony .... including its prices ...... If you compare apples with apples ..... Sony is usually double the price of the other units ... Again remember apples with apples .... Same number of inputs/outputs / size / LCD / LED / Plasma etc .... I've used a Sony Bravia LCD 32" for 4 years now and damaged it due to my stupidity ... Then did some research and shopped around ... Ended up buying a 51" Samsung Plasma 3D ..... Freaking Awesome! ... LG is nice but apparently their turn around time is ridiculous ... Sony .. Same story and the prices where out of this world ... Have you considered LED? Plasma's of today really are not like of those days .... They now have anti screen burn technology and lower power consumption and the refresh rates are mind blowing ..... I have my gaming pc connected up to it with my home theater .... Another experience altogether .....

[​IMG]

Having said all that I however offered to purchase my damaged unit back from insurance coz like I said NOTHING compares to Sony!

7. Keanan

Keanan Thread Starter 2time

Thanks guys.

I have noticed that on the LCD's in the store and as well as the two LED's we have, the LED's are LG.

Are the Samsung series 4 good then? I saw the difference between the Samsung and the LG, one on top of the other and the LG's colour was a bit better but didnt have time to play with the settings as the store was closing. The salesman recommended the LG but I dont know, I like the Samsung's more and was also told they are better.

@lIghty is yours a plasma?

I will have to make up my mind as they said they will give me a call tomorrow if they get another Samsung Series 5-550 for me or a replacement. Must say the 550 has a nice design and some cool features. Link
    Not sure but I think this is the plasma unit. Link
    Cant find the LG as they all look the same on their website.:p

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Keanan

@Rory, I think the plasma is full hd, not sure but I know the LCD is.

Ok so now im leaning more to the plasma side, what I like about the 550 LCD is the design. But bigger is better right.:biggrin: I saw all the Samsung plasma's got plasma+1 on them so take it its new technology. The static part I know from back then, but what about the channel logos, eg mnet and the dstv logos will they not burn it to it?

I hardly watch sports lately but will be playing xbox on it.
    The other replacement is a Sony but didnt really look at it.
    The Samsung's also have that feature called all share, pretty cool.
    So thats one more for the plasma.

9. Keanan

@chikaboo, thats one nice tv, wish I had the space and the money to go bigger and 3d. Saw a Samsung 3d one at the store hooked up to a 3d blu-ray player and it was awesome and much better than the LG 3d.

They had a Sony 40'' but didnt really have a look at it. Everyone was walking away with the Sony because they didnt have anymore stock of the Samsung. They had a LED but was 32'' and hd ready, the 40'' up and full hd is much more.
    Still not sure but leaning more to the Plasma if they dont get me another 550 or Ill just go in tomorrow and say I want the Plasma.

Now what to go with Samsung or LG? lol

10. Keanan

Chicka, hows the entertainment system in that position? Those Sony's rock.

11. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

simple, go plasma and as big as possible.

12. Keanan

lol Was thinking that.

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

Awesome sound bud ... I picked up the speakers at a bargain ... now busy shopping an amp for this setup ... At the moment running it through the Samsung's 3d player/amp so not not getting peak performance but more than enough .... Gaming on this combination is simply speechless ..... I got all this at my bed level so I chill on my bed and really get into the groove of things ... Go Samsung bud ... you can't compare to LG ... While I was in the spending mood got me a 32" 6000 Series for the kitchen ... Have not had the time as yet to connect but also 3D .... Have to put my wallet on a some vitamins soon as it looks like anorexic or on a diet at the moment but well worth it ... No more toys for awhile now ......

14. pXius

pXius

I'd strongly recommend you research every model you are interested in. Sony, Samsung, LG doesn't matter. A certain LG model can be great but another LG model could be bad, same with the other brands.

Then here's my breakdown of LCD vs LED vs Plasma

Plasma - Great colour for cheap and 600hz so no judder. This is my top pick for sports. NOT gaming. Plasmas get burn in, no permanent damage on new models but the back image takes a few minutes to disappear. So if you play a game with say... a mini map at the bottom of teh screen for a fer hours that map is going to burn into the screen. Same with watching stock market channels with the banner at the bottom of the screen or pausing DSTV for long periods.

LCD - IMO the better all rounder. More pricey than plasma but cheap than LED but won't have burn in and if you get a model with "motion sync, anti-judder, etc" (all brands call it something else), you can just enable it when watching sports or fast action scenes with no judder.

LED - LED is pretty much LCD with LED light around the edge of the screen (obviously on the inside), this causes colour to pop more and look more vivid. Same motion blur features apply as with LCD.

Brands You can't compare them and say this is better than that. Some products from one brand may be better than that from the other and be the other way around with something else. Rather compare every model which you are interested in like I said in the beginning.

Review wise and not for every model!, just in general any visual fanatic will tell you that Samsung do the best LED sets, Sony is king in the LCD department and LG in plasma (in the larger fullHD models anyway).

15. lIghty

lIghty

I've got the 50" series 4, can recall the exact model, but its the HD ready, not Full HD.

The only reason I went with the HD ready is that here in SA our "HD" signal is on 720, not 1080p, I don't have a xbox or PS3 etc.

I just find the plasma to be more natural looking, LCD to me always look to processed.

The only problem I have found on my perticular model is that on slow panning, it can shudder just a little, but really doesn't bother me!

16. pXius

pXius

Can you say cricket ?

But still a good choice. Even Xbox is 720. Here is a chart that further shows that FullHD is really only visible when sitting right in front of the screen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Oct 2011
  17. Mastazee

Mastazee

Also remember if the room is really bright or the tv is going to get direct sun you are going to get bad reflection on a plasma because it has a glass screen in that case a LED would be better.

18. Keanan

My father has the one with the amps and all the other add-ons, also got it at a barging. Think he paid something like R5000 for it at one of the pc wholesalers and it was like R9000 at house and home and makro. So Shop around and ask one of the PC dudes maybe you can get lucky again. Must say what I heard from it so far, is awesome but haven't played with it or heard its true power yet.

Lol I know the felling with the wallet being anorexic.

19. Keanan

@pXius,

the new Samsung plasma+1 has a screen burn protection. Also they had it on the sports channel almost whole day and when switched off I didnt see anything burned in to it, not evens the supersport logo.

The LCD has the 50 clear motion rate and dont have the ultra clear panel where as the plasma has.

I prefer the Samsung more, it just looks nicer than the rest.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2011
  20. Keanan

My window is behind where the tv will be. Will this be a problem?

21. pXius

pXius

Shouldn't if you close the curtain.

Ones last piece of advice. The best tv to buy is the one you like most. Its not going to stand next to 15 other sets in your house like in the store.

Choose the one that appeals to you the most, make sure its bug free (as in read reviews on the net) and go for that. That way you won't be sorry.

Buying something purely on everyone else's preferences might cause you to regret the decision. I've got a mate whom bought one of those LG's or was it Samsung? Anyway with the round hole in the bottom. He loves the look and thinks its the best thing ever. No one can tell him otherwise.

The best tv is the one you buy.

Recent Posts