Plasma LCD advise

Discussion in 'Technology' started by lIghty, 29 Mar 2011.

1. lIghty

lIghty

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a new tv, so been looking around for what my wallet ca afford.

So far I've come across the Samsung PS50C431 50" HD ready for R7500 and the PS50C550 for R9999(bit more than I'm really wanting to spend on a TV)

Is it really nessacery to go for a FHD, as DSTV on transmits HD Ready anyway, and most of the content on my media player is 720 anyway?

Are there any decent LCDs for similar price (40"?)

The main reason I like the plasma is that the image looks for natural, and runs smoother......?

And recommendations?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Personally, I'd go LCD. The Plasma only has a limited life span. I'm not sure how many hours it is, but you'll eventually have to buy a new TV because the plasma screen begins to fade.

Also, it's better to go Full HD. Especially when it comes to buying a Blu-Ray Player or PS3 or X-Box. Trust me, you really WANT to go 1080p.

While it's true that DStv broadcast 720p, your blu-ray players put out full 1080p. Trust me, it's totally worth it. Think about the quality difference between VHS and DVD, it's something like that.

For long term TV investments, maybe look at the Sony Bravia range or the Samsung LCD range.

4. Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Go for LED. Samsung 40" LED Series 5 full HD go for R8999. Now I know Series 5 only has 60Hz, but it is really only on the sport channels you will see the limitation (rugby and soccer some camera angles). The rest looks brilliant. I bought one end last year and am very happy.

5. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

As far as I know, LED tv's are only backlit with LED's so the picture is crisper and brighter. Nice in a bright room.

6. seank

seank

Mine is 04 years old-HD 46 Inch, and is still going like a bomb, no fading and the tv is basiocally on from 06 in the morning till about 10 at night (Kids does that to you). Again, no problems, and you can see a significant difference between the normal dstv channels and the HD channels

7. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Apparently, the life span of a plasma is around 20 000 to 30 000 hours until it is half as bright as when you first bought it. So if your TV is on for 10 hours a day it will last about 8 years (calculating at 30 000 hours). Where as the LCD will last around double that.

Also, you can always replace the LCD screen, but there is no way to replace the gasses that the plasma screen uses to run.

8. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Not concerned about life span as new plasmas will last for 10+ years.

The 2 mentioned units are Samsung.

9. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

I find LCDs jumpy unless it 200hz

10. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

According to the manufacturer. You need to look at the "Half Life" of the TV. Which is usually a lot less than what the manufacturers say.

The bottom Line is: You can't go wrong with Samsung. They make superb TV's. I have a 40" D series Bravia which rocks!

But Samsung, In my opinion, make the best range of easy to use, easy to understand and easy to watch TV's on the market at the moment. What ever your choice is, you'll be more than happy with your Samsung. I have 2 of them in my studio at work and they are great. But they are LCD's, not Plasmas.

11. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

PS: Look for them at Hirches (SP?) I hear they are about 5% cheaper than most electronics stores... I only heard this, but It might be true?

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

LED and LCD both has a liquid crystal display, only difference is the LED is backlit with LED's. LED's have a refresh rate of 120hertz, the latest 3D ready LED tv's has a 200 hertz rate, so the picture quality gets better.

Pro for LED - Energy efficient
    Con - price

Plasma - nothing beats a plasma with regards to picture quality and response. Refresh rate is 600hertz.

Pro for plasma - picture quality
    Con - uses about 2 to 3 times more power than the new LED tv's

13. SIMS

SIMS

go full HD. And Sean WHY your kids awake till 10pm?

14. seank

seank

@ Sims_ cause I never believe that you/child have to go to bed at 7 or 8. I sleep an average of 5 hours per day and have done that for most of my life. All my children excell in school wrt academy as well as do exeptionally well in sport. I do however believe in them sleeping an hour every afternoon after sport practise before they start with their homework. Why sleep your life past you if there is so much to see/do. Life is way too short to sleep for hours on end.
    David, check out House and Home. They have a special on their tv's. I saw it in the paper today while sitting on the loo.......lol

Last edited: 29 Mar 2011
  15. SIMS

SIMS

agreed I also only sleep 4-6 hours a day...but my wife makes the baby go to sleep at 8pm I have to be in bed by 2am at the latest

16. seank

seank

Baby's are different. They need to sleep a lot else they cry to much and irritate us adults....lol. My lighties was constantly on Stopayne, especially if I had to look after them- it makes a baby sleep sooooooo nice....lol.
    David, 46 inch lg plasma for 7 grand. I think it is a good price

17. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

I wouldnt go for Plasma tbh. Its dead technology, I dont even think they are still in production tbh. Go for either LCD or LED.

Look for last seasons Sony Bravia's, you can normally get them for a song compared to what they would sell for new. Hirsch's are definately a good place to shop but dont count out Game for some insane specials from time to time.

Samsung are OK...good value and look a lot better once you've switched off their SUPER DIGITAL CRYSTAL ENGINE or whatever they are punting at the time. generally all it does is bumps up the sharpness ratio and bleeds the images. Flat is best.

18. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thanks for your input guys, like I said I have a budget, so went with the Samsung ps50c431. compared it to the equivilent LG, the Samsung was 100% better.

19. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Check out Dionwired. We just got a LG LCD 42" 200Hz for 6999.

20. Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Food for thought: Eskom power supply frequency is 50Hz, thus if you use normal DSTV decoder, the output is 50Hz. So now you have a 200Hz TV, you still will only get 50Hz quality.

When we bought our TV I had them place a 50Hz and 200Hz LED next to each other and show soccer on normal DSTV. I could not see the difference.

So get a Blue Ray or HDPVR and Hz becomes obsolete. If you compare the plasma / LCD and LED, LED is clear winner.

No one is the store will tell you this, they want to sell you the most expensive TV. So why do we get different Hz TV in SA? The TV are developed in other countries where power supply Hz is higher.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2011
  21. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Sorry Max but you are comparing two things that are not related to each other.

The 200 'Hz' on the TV is the refresh rate of the TV picture - or how often the picture is 'redrawn' every second.

Most TVs still have a native picture refresh rate of 50/60 Hz which is directly related to the electrical specification which is also 50/60 Hz.

The increased 'picture' rates of 100/200 are achieved by various processing methods that the TV performs - which create extra frames from the 'actual' frame rate of 50/60 Hz.

These 'improved' frame rates can usually be switched on and off as they can sometimes make the picture look worse rather than better.

Recent Posts