Plants

unlike freshwater setups where lotsa plants and stuff are used,in SW we use macro algea eg.Chaetomorpha in a fuge or in the sump to help reduce nutrients

I think the only "plants" we have available to us are mangroves, haven't seen any other type around. I suppose seaweed or kelp as well.

Freshwater has plants and weeds, we have corals :yeahdude:

Corels are way better. just wanted check if there is a biological reason like oxygen depletion or something

In most cases the sea weed gets out of control and ends up covering the corals and will eventually take over the tank. I have tried sea lettuce but my tangs made short work of it.

Dean its illegal to keep mangroves without permits etc i have a few connections around gov departments and they are trying to find out if one can actually get a permit for them at all....

The reason we don't keep plants or weeds, is because other than mangroves, thats what they all become: WEEDS. Like Allan said, they will eventually overgrow expensive corals and they are really difficult to control/remove. Furthermore, they are often prone to sexual reproduction, which causes the "plant" going sexual to die and release all the nutrients in its tissues to be released into the tank in one fowl sleep. Another down side of algae is that they release yellowing compounds into the water, reducing the light penetration to the detriment of corals. The only "plant" (algae" I believe is useful is an algae called chaetomorpha, which like Mekaeel said is usually kept in your sump to reduce nutrients.

Vipers Chaeto has spread throughout SA! Thanks Dean!
Yeah the old ballies chaeto has done the rounds......

Back
Top Bottom