Planted Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by jpaige74, 20 Dec 2013.

1. jpaige74

jpaige74

Just curious if there is anyone out there that has planted their SW tanks. I know mangroves and macros are common in sumps, but I rarely see mangroves in DTs. When I started with my first nano tank I didnt have a refugium so I planted several mangroves directly in the tank. I do a lot of fishing and love the little areas where the fish hide out in the mangroves. I thought they looked very natural in the tank. I was somewhat surprised to be unable to find photos on google of planted salt water tanks as this is done frequently with FW. I have been running my tank just shy of a year now and the mangroves have gotten quite large. I still enjoy the way they look and my livestock is thriving. Can anyone suggest some reasons this isnt done more often? Is it just aesthetics or is there something else?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

not sure why people don't do mangroves in the DT I too think that it looks very natural especially if you don't let the mangrove run wild and just keep them in one corner of the tank. they are a great way for nutrient export as well.

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

but on the other hand in nature I don't think mangroves grow near reefs so probably that's why people don't mix the two

5. jpaige74

jpaige74 Thread Starter

Hi HOT SAUCE thank you for your input. This is similar to the coastline where I fish. I think its referred to as a "forereef"

ke_5166720H2Omark.jpg

6. Bendor

Bendor

I don't mean to be pushy but WHERE ARE THE PICS?

7. jpaige74

jpaige74 Thread Starter

Haha not pushy at all :) The oldest of my mangroves has grown out of the top of the tank. He gets lit by a grow light in an overhead fixture. The smaller ones are only about 2 months old.

20131220_151013_resized.jpg

8. jpaige74

jpaige74 Thread Starter

Little larger pic. I apologize for my photography skills lol.

IMG_20131220_152556_resized(1).jpg

9. wheex

wheex

Nice.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

11. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I dig mangroves in tanks but the only issue is once it grows you'll have to keep pruning it. Other that that I like it cool tank BTW...

Recent Posts