planning tank - opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Ebi Omer, 30 May 2013.

1. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

Hi.

I'm planning my 4foot tank currently.
    120cm x 55x 55

Going the reef route.

What LED or T5 lights would be best? Any opinions on this and I will weigh my options from there.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

if going for LED units it can be a bit pricy but always worth it, suggest maxpect razors. or if you go for T5's that is bit more lenient on the pocket try getting a cheap unit and replacing the lights with ATI.. 54watts for your size system

4. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer Thread Starter

Do Razor's come in different sizes? or will I have to fit 2 for this size tank?

Last edited: 30 May 2013
  5. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

they come in normal tank and Nano thats all I have 2 on my 120x800x300 shallow reef , so you will need two, chat to @bryan

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer Thread Starter

Thanx.. Any other options though?

'One' LED fixture that could be sufficient for my tank?

7. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

What is your budget lol

8. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer Thread Starter

I don't have a particular budget on lights, I'd like to spread my options on different equipment and see where I can spend more and where I gotta save.

If I spend more on lights, I'll save on other equipment. If I save on lights, I get to spend more elsewhere.

9. Seabass

Seabass

What are you going to have in the tank, is it fish only with live rock? Is it a mixed reef? Is it a sps tank?

Once you have decided it will be easier to advise.

Which fish are you going to keep and how many?

Rather buy the correct items first time that will meet your tanks requirements as planned.

10. jacqolive

jacqolive

As stated equipment depends on what you want to keep. My only recommendation would be to go with a wider tank, 55cm is very limiting as far as aqua scape goes. Also remember that water changes perspective so a 55cm will actually look more like 40cm when filled with water, angles also change so like a rock pile that has a 40 degree slope will more likely look like a sheer drop off or a canon will not look the same under water as when dry. I have a link to an article at home that explains all this and will post it when I get home but the model of my story is wider is better/more options

Last edited: 30 May 2013
  11. jacqolive

jacqolive

Regarding lights led are more expensive but do have cost savings in the long run when you consider bulb replacement. Like suggested using ATI globes would be about R2400 if you have 8 on your tank and replacing once a year, if replacing more often like twice a year, which would be recommended or at least every 9 months, you looking at almost R5000 a year in globe replacements alone. I would not recommend going led just because of this just like I would not recommend going T5 over MH because they are cheaper, it all depends on what you want to keep, the rest of your equipment and dedication. Seeing a full blown SPS reef under T5 succeed is due to more than just the light,like using a cheap skimmer that can't keep the water clean or not doing water changes is not going to allow T5 to penetrate and give you SPS enough light.

The model of my story is that you need to take everything into consideration to succeed not just certain equipment.

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Firstly 6 good quality T5 tubes such as ati or giesemann will be more than enough on a tank with that dimensions. And these high end tubes will easily last a year as their degradation is not as bad as the cheaper tubes. Leds are more expensive yes, but if you plan on running the tank for a long time (at least 3 years) then it becomes cheaper due to the electricity savings and the bulb replacement. But if you are planning an upgrade within 2 years you will just lose money going with a LED unit. Unfortunately there is not many manufacturers that make big units and the big units will come at a big price. So cheapest will be 2 smaller units such as the razors which many people seem to like or if you can find someone willing to sell a long unit second hand.

The only 2 manufacturers that make long units that i can think of now is Vertex and Pacific sun. They are very good units but also very pricey which makes the time for them to pay themselves off a lot longer..

13. jpserfontein

jpserfontein

Hi a have a t5 54w light unit takes 8 tubes that a want to sell in this month if interested only needs new tubes

14. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer Thread Starter

Thanx for all the advise.
    @jacqolive i would really do it wider if I had the space. unfortunately that's the biggest size tank i got room for.
    @Seabass i am going for mixed reef. i havent fully decided on types of fish, but i dont intend overstocking, learning from past mistakes in FW.
    @mariusmeyer . i will have a look at those.

15. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer Thread Starter

sorry im looking to go for new equipment

16. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

@jpserfontein
    Please pm me pictures of this light unit...

17. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer Thread Starter

I'm now deciding on my skimmer.. The tank should be abouty 400-450 litres (Total Volume).

Would the TS2 or TS3 be a good option?

I know Wild on Pets had a Skimz on sale 20%, not sure which model. But can a skimmer be too much of an overkill?

18. Seabass

Seabass

Look at a vertex, tunze or Reef Octopus, you cannot over skim.

19. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

Ebi just look at your dims on the tank 550-550 is very limiting when it comes to rock work

20. JacoD01

JacoD01

@Ebi Omer.
    Where are you planning to get your tank. I am looking for a place to build a tank...

21. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer Thread Starter

@JamesHunter -Unfortunately I'm limited on space, therefore the narrowness on the width..

Any other opinions on the skimmer though?

Recent Posts