Planning my tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Tyler, 2 Jul 2011.

1. Tyler

Tyler

Hello,
    I'm starting a new tank and thought it would be a good idea to join a forum and get some advice and hopefully be able to share some too, in time.
    I'm not new to fishkeeping, I've kept both tropical and marine. It's been a while though and also this is going to probably be my most high tech system to date, so I'm sure I'm going to need a lot of help with regards to the best protein skimmer to buy and that kind of thing.
    It's going to be a slow process I'm afraid, probably going to buy a few bits and pieces each month until I have what I need to start. I'd rather take a bit longer and get decent equipment than rush it and have a system I'm not really happy with.
    About the only thing I have at the moment is a sturdy cabinet which looks perfect to hold a tank.
    I'm thinking of building a tank 1m x 50cm by about 50 or 60cm tall. The cabinet has 2 compartments underneath, which can't be joined and originally I was thinking of building 2 sumps. I'm now thinking that it's a better idea to have the sump next to the cabinet, which means I'm not restricted space wise and I can make the sump as big as I want. My idea was to then build a cabinet to hide the sump. on top of which will eventually sit my frag tank. This means I'll probably have a sump as large as the tank, just maybe not as high to bring down the costs. I'm also hoping that by having a big sump I can get by without a chiller as I'd like to have quite powerful lighting. The sump is going to feed back into a surge tank and I'll hopefully have some natural wave momements in the tank.
    I'd like some advice on lighting. I'd like to go with MH only as I love the rippled effect it gives. I was thinking of going with one of those single ended 400w units 14k.
    I'm not sure if that's going to spread the light evenly enough or if I'd be better off getting 2 250w units. I've seen those Octopus units in 250w which look quite nice but I don't know if they're any good. If anyone can recommend some units that would be good for this size tank it would help. I'm looking at getting a T3 skimmer. I want something big enough so that I can connect a frag tank to the system in future.
    I'll want to get a calcium reactor and possibly a phosphate reactor as well so if anyone can recommend some good makes that would help.
    That's about all I can tell you for now. Sorry it's not all that interesting, what with not even having the tank yet and all but I'm hoping to make use of the experience on this site so I can make the best choices getting this thing started.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Welcome to the broke side... :lol:

4. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

The 400 watt will have a wide enough reflection for the 1 meter tank, but 2x 250 watts are just as great, frankly it depends on you. The Ts3 skimmer is great I have one but maybe you should look into the bubble magus or the reeftek cone skimmers as these are the top of the range and they will work perfectly especially if you want to add a frag tank to the existing one. Keep an eye on the for sale forum always great buys there.

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome :) .. Depends on what you want to keep. If its just lps and softies then 2x 150w mh is more than enough. I have 2x 150w and they cover my tank nicely, its 1.5m long and 0.7wide and I get some awesome shimmer action even with 4 T5's on also

6. Tyler

Tyler Thread Starter

Want to keep mostly SPS. I was looking at the Reef Inmates Site. They've got quite a nice unit that comes with either a 250w or 400w MH + 4x 24w T5's.
    I think I'll drop them a line and get a quote.

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

are you going to get a chiller also?

8. Tyler

Tyler Thread Starter

Looks like I'll have to with that kind of lighting. Was wondering if I built my sump big enough I could get away with it. I'd rather spend the money on a big ass sump and get extra use out of it

Last edited: 2 Jul 2011
Recent Posts