Planning in progress

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Creep, 1 Jan 2010.

1. Creep

Creep Ernst

This is it. I want to have my own piece of ocean in my house for the last 5 years.
    I’ve worked and studied through a few books. And everyone has their own methods and opinions about setting up a tank. It seems to get more complicated the more research I do.
    I want to start off with a Fish-Only and then move on to a Reef Tank.
    All I want, is to do it right the first time. I want to start this puppy say end of February 2010 so I’ve still got some time to start.
    So far I’ve got.
    A 600L Tank with overflow.
    A sump not sure how many Liters.
    A Deltec In-sump Protein skimmer.APF 600
    A Deltec Kalkwasser.KM500
    A Hailea Return Pump.
    Bio-balls.
    A Top-up System. That is going to be connected to the Deltec Kalkwasser and to flow into the sump.
    1) Now on opinions, the guys at Exotic Aquariums told me to use Bio-balls for filtration. I’ve Read to rather use Activated Carbon. What do I use?
    2) I asked the guys if I can buy a Canister Filter with Activated carbon. And said I don’t need it on the Reef tank. Is this true or false?
    3) Do I put my heater in the sump or in the main display tank?
    4) Another question how do I go about mixing the water? Do I buy a separate water tank fill it with RO water and chuck in some salt-mix and mix?
    5) Do I put the Deltec kalkwasser inside the sump or outside the sump? I want to put it outside the sump for easy access and I don’t think it will fit in the sump with the all pumps, heater if it goes in there, the skimmer and all the filter material.
    6) Do I need a Calcium reactor from the start? If not why?
    7) Where can I buy a good RO unit to fill my 600l tank without all the waste water and the price tag? If there is such a thing.
    The tank is going to have a DSB and LR in the main display tank.
    I still need to buy all the lighting, phosphate reactor, wave makers.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

hi creep

welcome to masa

Ill rtaher go for a deep sand bed...the bio balls will only rake down all the amonia in the system then you ar left with No3 in he system that will build up(bio blls collect allot of detritus thus also contributing in More N03)...you need a place where anerobic acteria is present to brake down No3...and we use a deep sand bed to do this...or lots and lots of Live rock with deep wholes were zero 02 is present.

All you equipent is top quality products...very nice.

Heater should go in the sump...1ste chamber

Carbon is only used to consume impurities and odor in the waer..it also polishes the water....ill worry about activated carbon when you add your first couple of fish or coral.

mixing water- most of us have water containers...one forro and he other one for mixing our salt for wc(water change)...you will need a pump and a heater in the drum to prepare your salt water(25 degrees at 1.025 s.g)

kalkwasser needs to go outside....the auto top up feeds the kalkstirrer

carx(calsium reactor)- you wont need it now....and it all depends on what system you are goin for. a Sps system consumes allot of ca..lps a little bit less and softie tank very little.....so it all epends on what you want to keep.

Drop me a pm for prices o your ro units...we will be getting new stock end of Jan...we still have abut 15 units of the old shape left.

woops...only got to the end part f your post...see you are going to put the dsb in the display....then you can use the sump as a refugium and grow some cheato in reverse period

4. Junz

Junz

1) Now on opinions, the guys at Exotic Aquariums told me to use Bio-balls for filtration.i would go with lanzo and Skip the BIO Balls. will just cause you problems down the line
    I’ve Read to rather use Activated Carbon. What do I use? Activated Carbon is generally used to polish the water and remove chemicals....gives youe water a nice clear look
    2) I asked the guys if I can buy a Canister Filter with Activated carbon. And said I don’t need it on the Reef tank. Is this true or false? True....but you get a carbon reactor if you feel the need to.
    3) Do I put my heater in the sump or in the main display tank? sump
    4) Another question how do I go about mixing the water? Do I buy a separate water tank fill it with RO water and chuck in some salt-mix and mix?i normally use black bins and mix my water in there..... remember to add the salt to the water and not the other way around.
    5) Do I put the Deltec kalkwasser inside the sump or outside the sump? I want to put it outside the sump for easy access and I don’t think it will fit in the sump with the all pumps, heater if it goes in there, the skimmer and all the filter material.Outside
    6) Do I need a Calcium reactor from the start? If not why?right now...NO, but like Lanzo said it also depends on what you are planning to keep later on... for a full SPS tank i would go for a CARX.
    7) Where can I buy a good RO unit to fill my 600l tank without all the waste water and the price tag? If there is such a thing. check sponsors
    The tank is going to have a DSB and LR in the main display tank. if you can...i woulf suggest having the DSB in the sump...just my personal preference.
    I still need to buy all the lighting, phosphate reactor, wave makers

Good Luck man....you did the right thing coming to MASA.

Recent Posts