Planning for power outage

Reaction score
I received a Eskom notice today that warns of a 9hour power outage in about a weeks time.

I don't have a geni, but do have a 12v 360 gph pump.

1) Shall I just run the pump in the DT off a car battery with a DIY venturi.
2) Shall i use the pump to try and cycle water between my sump and the DT
3) Shall i use the pump to power my surge device which dumps a huge amount of water and air bubbles into the DT every 3mins or so.
4) And lastly How will a DSB suffer after 9 hours of no circulation.

Hi Ashraf - use the pump as a return pump - pumping water from your sump to your tank....
This way, the bacteria stays alive, the tank get's oxygen, and your tank still has a wee bit of water flow.....

Bacteria starts dying off after 1 hour of no water circulation. Perhaps get yourself battery operated air pumps as well.... this definitely helps oxygenating the water....

OXYGEN is your BIGGEST problem! The lack there-of, though....

Hi Ashraf - use the pump as a return pump - pumping water from your sump to your tank....
This way, the bacteria stays alive, the tank get's oxygen, and your tank still has a wee bit of water flow.....

Bacteria starts dying off after 1 hour of no water circulation. Perhaps get yourself battery operated air pumps as well.... this definitely helps oxygenating the water....

Thanks Jacques - Forgot to mention that my sump is kinda "bland". Its just a water gathering point for pumps that pump other things like a chiller, remote DSB, remote algea scrubber, remote phosphate reactor, UV etc.. All of these will have no flow if their is no power

So by your logic is it the DSB that i'm trying to keep circulating with flow, and even if I did the bacteria would not find its way back to the DT.

Battery Operated Air Pump ??? - From our local LFS Sponsors like Sam's etc... If not can you PM me

Add an airline (not stone) to the DSB this will create enough oxygen and flow for it to survive. And option 1 in the DT.just my 2c
or rent a jenny for the day perhaps
goodluck:)

use the pump as a return pump - pumping water from your sump to your tank.... This way, the bacteria stays alive, the tank get's oxygen, and your tank still has a wee bit of water flow.....

Agreed - good advice here :thumbup: Just be aware that you will probably ruin the car battery if you discharge it past 50% of it's capacity - car batteries don't like being discharged deeply (if you have a 65Ah battery then it will only be able to supply about 3 ampere for about 10 hours...)

Hennie

Agreed - good advice here :thumbup: Just be aware that you will probably ruin the car battery if you discharge it past 50% of it's capacity - car batteries don't like being discharged deeply (if you have a 65Ah battery then it will only be able to supply about 3 ampere for about 10 hours...)

Hennie

I have a standard mecer pc UPS (1000w) I will use that instead of the car battery it should give me two hours of running my return pump.

I have a standard mecer pc UPS (1000w) I will use that instead of the car battery

That's good. I would still use the car battery if needed - a battery is a lot cheaper than the livestock in your tank...

Hennie

You can also add 5ml of 30 percent hydrogen peroxide per 100 litres every four hours to help with oxygenation. It breaks down into water and oxygen

It works well. I have survived 10 hour outages with no losses except a few worms. Peroxide is unstable like ozone and breaks down into water and oxygen leaving no harmful residues. It also breaks down organic compunds.

I also use potassium permangeante once a week to oxidise DOC. I add a tiny amount like ten crystals to some tank water and add it to my sump. The skimmer goes mad after that

A drop of persoxide added to a bag of water of a newly landed fish helps with oxygentation. A drop of methylene blue also halps as this acts as an oxygen donor which allows O2 to be absorbed better by the fish

I read a lot of marine books. A good book on marine diseases by Bob Goemans and Lance Ichinotsubo. It's brilliant and current. I'm still toying around with the idea of dripping peroxide into a skimmer as one would ozone to help with oxidising pollutants and oxygenating the water but without the harmful side effects that ozone has

I also use potassium permangeante once a week to oxidise DOC. I add a tiny amount like ten crystals to some tank water and add it to my sump. The skimmer goes mad after that

Tony, where do you get this Potassium compound ? Love to try it out. Any suggestions/cautions about using it ?

Back
Top Bottom