Planned 4ft Reef

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Slagter, 1 Feb 2010.

1. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Ok, so it's finally happened. I'm going to be starting my first marine tank. I have plenty of fresh water tanks at the moment (24) and I thought I'd try my hand at a reef tank.

What I have at the moment:

1x 4ft cabinet tank with a 50L sump. Total: 250L
    1x Brand new 2000L/h return pump
    4x Brand new Seio prop pumps. 1x 3800L/h and 3x 2000L/h.
    I have 30KG's of Fiji Live Rock on order
    I also have some base rock on the way.
    I have a 300watt Jager heater
    1x 14kg bag of Aragamax (need another bag)
    1x 3 stage RO unit
    2x 150watt Metal Halides
    Plenty of T5's

So here are the questions:

With regards to the sump. There is not enough space in there for a DSB. Can I add live rock to the 2 chambers in the sump, or should I add filter sponge to the first and the LR to the second? The TS1 I am looking at will fit into the inlet chamber of the sump, but with not much space for anything else in there.

Flow Rate:

From what I've read, I should be pushing around 25 - 30x the tanks volume onto the LR. I think I have enough pumps for that. Now for the question: How do you angle the pumps toward the live rock? Do you just make sure that you have an even amount of flow throughout the tank? I am wanting to hook these up to a controller at some point, but not right now.

Base Rock:

Does base rock eventually become seeded and turn into Live rock? I am adding about 20kg's of base rock to the tank so that the Fiji LR does not become covered by any of the substrate.

Live rock:

Besides looking different and the price, what are the differences between Kenyan or Fiji Live rock? I'm not the expert here, you guys are supposed to be! :p In a 4ft tank, what is the recommended amount of LR? Like I said, I'm getting 30kg's, will this be enough?

Lighting:

Wont MH light heat up the water? I'm going to re-look at my canopy. Making it 400mm tall... Then I'm going to install some nice big fans in the side of the canopy.

With regards to heating: What is the optimal temp for a reef tank? I'd assume it would be around 24 - 25 degrees?

Thanks in advance for the help, I look forward to sharing this new experience with all of you? :thumbup:

Sean

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

see my answers below in blue

4. Slagter

Slagter Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks for the advice Leslie, I really appreciate that.

Another quick one: I want to keep some SPS corals eventually. What should I buy from the word go, in order to keep them properly? I'm assuming a Calcium Reactor is one piece of gear.

Also, I'd love to buy the TS2, but I don't think it will fit in the sump. I'll have a look though. My other option is a 2nd hand Deltec skimmer. I'm looking into this at the moment.

5. leslie hempel

what model and liter capacity, personally its also an area i have been looking towoards aswell.. im so upset about the latest skimmer ratings, i feel robbed.. there seems to be more science behind the deltec rather than just a quick knock off by competing brands. as a rule of thumb try double your tank capacity when buying a skimmer.

6. Slagter

It's the Deltec APH252... It's apparently rated for 450 liters with a heavy fish load or 600L with light stocking, so it should work very well. And apparently, it fits my sump too!! :)

7. leslie hempel

is it not this one?

Deltec APH 525 Skimmer
    [​IMG]
    This is the shortest of the AP skimmers and is designed to fit in many of the older type cabinets which tend to have a reduced height.

The picture shown is for an AP600 which is slightly higher.

All AP525 skimmers are now fitted with an Aquabee pump.

The skimmer must be supplied with water either by gravity feed from the aquarium or via a separate pump.

The European AP525 is fitted with 1 pump drawing in 350lts of air per hour.

For Aquariums up to:
    Heavy Stocking 450 Ltrs (100gals)
    Normal Stocking 700 Ltrs (155 gals)

Water Throughput:
    600 Ltr./ h (133 gall/h)

Dimensions:
    L: 280mm W: 210mm H: 525mm

8. leslie hempel

they are excellent skimmers.. im sure this will do the trick..

9. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Yip deff a very good skimmer:thumbup:

10. Slagter

Yes, sorry, I am a bit dyslexic... :whistling: It's the 525. I actually just went out and got it. I had to buy a separate pump for it though. Got a little Halea 1000L/h pump. I'll just have to put a valve reducer on the intake of the skimmer.

I also don't think it will fit into my sump. Going to have to drill the sump and the cabinet and let it stand out side the sump on the other side of the cabinet. But that's fine. I might be able to shift the sump design around now and put a smalling DSB in now!! Which I'm actually quite pleased about. If there's one thing about fish tanks, you can't really have too much filtration.

11. leslie hempel

well not really but try to be broad spectrumed with your filtration.. so long as you are coming as close to achieving the nitrogen cycle the better..

12. Slagter

Ok, so I have to redo the sump. The skimmer doesn't fit in the sump. If it was an open top, it would be fine, but alas, it's a contained unit. I need to drill 2 holes in the side of the sump so I can slap the skimmer in the next compartment in the cabinet.

Anyone know where I can take it to be drilled? I could just take it to FFW I suppose. Derek would probably do it.

The only thing left now is to drain the tank and put water in it. I do need to move the current fish though.

13. leslie hempel

maybe i have missed something here but why do you want to rebuild the sump? can you post a pic of your current system so that we can perhaps help with suggestions?

this skimmer can stand externally so perhaps there is a way in terms of putting it higher etc etc..

post a pic and lets have a look..

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Great info and help there, Leslie!

15. leslie hempel

cool bru, trying my best..

16. crispin

crispin

and doing an excelent job at it :)

lovely skimmer you got there, beats the hell out the ts1 you were looking at originally :) nice buy

17. Slagter

Thanks crispin. I did a bit of research on it and thought, heck, for an extra R500 it was definitely worth it.

The sump is totally enclosed in glass. It doesn't have an open top. If it did, it would be fine. It's got glass sliders at the front. These can be removed, but the skimmer will not fit through the opening. There are 4 compartments in the sump. The 2 middle ones are very narrow, so I am going to remove the middle piece of glass completely and move the outer pieces and make the cavity slightly wider so I can add a small DSB in there. It wont be a big DSB, but I'd prefer to have one anyway.

I'll take a pic of it this evening to show you.

PS: I have to drill the holes in the sump anyway so I can plumb the skimmer in the other side of the cabinet.

18. leslie hempel

cool looking forward to the pic to see how we can help.. apologies for me being a little scarce i have been jacking a barge up in order to paint it.. will try check in more frequently..

19. Slagter

Jacking a barge? I don't think you're even joking about that? LOL!

Ok... Yesterday I had a change of heart. Seeing as that particular 4ft tank is doing so well as a planted aquarium, I'm going to keep it going. BUT, here comes the kicker... I had a call from my cellular provider and I need to renew my cell contract... As one of the perks, I'm getting a R3000 gift card, so I'm going to buy a new cabinet tank!! One that is custom built for a marine tank. I have already contacted Derek at FFW to sort it out for me.

Sweet. I'm hoping to have the tank capacity sit at around 400L total. At least now I can build in the DSB and all that into the sump, while still having the skimmer sit on the outside of the sump.

Was looking at a 1200 x 500 x 600 dimensions for the display, and I'm still waiting for an idea about the sump.

I have also been looking into my stocking list. I know it's really early in the game, but I have an idea of what I eventually want in the tank.

I was thinking a few Peppermint Shrimp (Aptasia eaters)
    Some captive bred clown fish (to appease the wife)
    I think my favorite fish on earth is the Flame Angel, but from what I've been reading, it may eat corals?

Another reason for the bigger size is for a Yellow Tang. Is this tank big enough for one?

20. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

A gift card for a fish shop. How the hell did you get that right.

21. Slagter

It's a visa card, pre loaded with money. You can use it anywhere that takes a bank card.

Recent Posts