planing a new reef tank

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by CPT reefman, 19 Feb 2013.

1. CPT reefman

CPT reefman

The wife has given me the nod to build us a small 200ltr tank for upstairs. I would like it to be about 650 x 650 size but pretty shallow and I would like to use led lighting. The plan is to keep lps and reef safe fish, my question is what is the best semi-diy led lighting available and also what skimmer would work best and last what water turn over should I aim for ie return pump capacity. I visited some stores today and did some window shopping to see what's available but don't wana just buy what they trying to sell without checking here aswell.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. NADEEM

NADEEM

Hello Reefman, its nice to overskim, so go for a skimmer rated well over the amount of water your system holds, remember its the water in tank plus sump.
    i recently started a 65 x 65 tank, you are welcome to come have a look and get some ideas, i lice in goodwood.
    my return pump is 2500lt/hr.
    with regards to lighting, i also played with the option of an LED DIY, and for me, it seemed much wiser to go with the LED unit supplied by Andre of Reef Aquatics, its cost effective, looks very smart and works well.

If you are keen , i know of a cube for sale, its 650 x 650 in 12mm glass and black silicone with the stand, its brand new, for R1600, really good tank and great price. let me know.

Shot

4. Nur

Nur Starz

Lighting:
    If you going 650 650, might just be cheaper and less hassle to get a Kessil pendent when its on special again. They rated to cove 600w x 600l x 600h SPS but for LPS u'll get away easily. Best you give Sams a call they have Kessil's for great price.

Skimmer:
    A Reef Octo BH2000 is a great skimmer, currently have one running on my 2m with no issues. Also cheap option if you going sump or not.

5. CPT reefman

CPT reefman Thread Starter

Ok another question. I can get safety glass ie laminated glass at a great price will 6mm safety glass work for this tank

6. CPT reefman

Ok another question. I can get safety glass ie laminated glass at a great price. Will 6mm safety glass work for this tank with a height of 350mm.

7. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

rather go for a all glass tank or try get a nano kit from Bryan at jungle aquatics

they are very good

8. CPT reefman

This is all coming along nicely now, I used 8mm glass. now my next question is lighting. im keen on LED's and i have been told at Sams that they can supply LED strips and power supplies at about 300mm lengths. has anyone ever used these ? are they any good ?

9. the fish

the fish

with these strips please ask the first what how much watt ie 1watt or 3watt LED's and also ask for a chart of the specific LED's they try to sell you to see how much Lumens they are. saw now that Beamworks also brought out their new 3Watt LED units and they are quite cheap. so you can also look at going that route if you wish

10. CPT reefman

thank you very much for the info

11. the fish

the fish

Recent Posts